1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Godfather scene/line

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ScribePharisee, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

. . . while Fredo's grabbing at Mike's back like it was the last life preserver on the Titanic.

Just brutal.

Saw it again, Sunday . . . and that scene always stays with you, for a while.
    I mean, it's understood that Fredo can't be allowed to run loose among the
    general population . . . but, still, to have to make the formal declaration . . .

2. Great scene, but I don't see the Neri's reaction as you do. I see it as acknowledgment: "whateva you say boss"

3. dieditor

dieditor Member

And with that I hang my head in shame. I knew it was you, IMDB quotes page. You broke my heart.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

He doesn't get that part, I don't care how many dago-wop-guinea goombahs come out of the woodwork!

Actually, I'm German-Irish.

Well, then, listen here my Kraut-Mick friend!

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The word pezzonovante must appear 200 times in the book. I think that it is only mentioned twice in the movie -- once by Vito in the meeting with the heads of the families and by Michael in the scene before Vito dies.

Such a great job by FFC cutting out almost all of the Johnny nonsense in Hollywood and the Vegas stuff with Lucy's large private parts.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Would have detracted from the main story line . . . and that's time-consuming enough . . . you've got a strong plot hand, play it.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

In both I and II, the endings were absolutely amazing. Michael lying right to his wife's face, and then Fredo getting shot on the boat. So powerful.

In my opinion, I and II are the two greatest movies in cinema history. I'm not sure what order.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

What gets lost is that Johnny Fontaine is the Don's biololgical son, at least according to the family tree in the extras of the DVD collection

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

II
    I

10. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

agreed.

11. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Just a quick note of the GF's sports connection: In Field of Dreams, when Ray is whisked back in time in Chisholm, Minn., he looks up at a movie marquee playing -- what else -- The Godfather, with a blurb, "one of 1972's best."

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Great stuff there.

Draft saved Draft deleted