1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

best food, taco edition: beef or chicken

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I prefer flour tortillas to corn. I think the corn taste is too strong.

Tastes like an Archer Daniels Midland VP's armpit.

2. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I shall not inquire as to how you know that.

2muchcoffeeman and Vombatus like this.
  3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

We do homemade corn tortillas. It's easy as anything and they are much fresher than anything from the store -- and without all the extra crap they add. Masa harina flour, salt, water. That's it. An empanada press helps. Then a minute on each side over a cast iron griddle. We eat them that way, soft. If you want them hard, fry it in oil for 10 seconds and fold into taco shell shape and fry for another minute and a half, turning it.

4. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

I love crunchy corn taco shells. My favorite local taco joint is Fat Juicy Taco in Hendersonville, TN, just north of Nashville.
    There are two problems with it, three if you have issues with conservative fundie Christians: They don't do vegan and they don't serve beer and everyone I know who will go with me to a Mexican place requires beer. Thing is: 1.) I don't drink. I don't have a problem with drinking, I'm just bad at it. and 2.) I've learned to make vegan versions of their tacos at home, so no need to cheat.

Fluffy on tacos:

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I want to try this as much as anything I've ever tried.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Chicken, fish (not a euphemism), pork, shrimp or Steak-Umm. Not ground beef.

Turkey might be interesting, too.

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I'm gonna need a cigarette.
    That looks phenomenal.

8. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

Mahi would be great with those toppings

9. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

You really have to try to mess up a taco.

I like pork best.

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I lived in Houston for fourteen years, and worked on the edge of the barrio for several of them. Love me some good tacos. Breakfast tacos, al carbon, al pastor, fish, cabrito, I love 'em all.

It was tough on us when we moved back to Birmingham, because the selection was far more limited. Plenty of mediocre tacos, but quality was hard to come by. I can't tell you how many times we tried a new Mexican place and it was excellent - the family had moved here from Monterrey or something. Problem was that we'd go back a couple of months later and everything had Taco Bell red sauce on it. Over the years we've gained in Latinx people and restaurants, and I've found several where as above, I'd be the only Anglo in the place eating their damn good food.

We've got a family that sets up a tiny food trailer in the parking lot of an Allstate a couple of blocks from the house. Set it up, plug in the generator, and cook all day. Real, no-shit authentic grade A tacos, family style. Their family. Doubled small corn tortilla shell, cooked but still soft, and name your poison inside. Freaking great. $2.50 per, and they are a little small for the money, but migawd they taste good. So nice to have an excellent taco truck (well, trailer) close to home.

If they sell Lengua tacos, you're probably at an authentic place.

Wish they were open now, I got hungry.

[​IMG]

11. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Cheap drive-thru taco? Chicken
    Fajita taco? Steak
    Taqueria taco? Al pastor

I prefer flour tortillas to corn because I find them a bit more stable.

Also, this is one of the funniest things I've watched all year:

12. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I'll take El Indio all day long.

Draft saved Draft deleted