1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best/Favorite Album Covers (possibly NSFW)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Captain_Kirk, May 31, 2007.

1. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

A spinoff from the cassette/LP you miss the most thread:

What are some of your fave album covers. Note that I said album: I do think the transition to CD's has made album artwork sort of a lost art, and the best examples come from the days of vinyl. We'll see if that bears out in the the responses on this thread. Nevertheless, feel free to nominate more recent, CD only album art as well.

I'll start it off with two that invoked the sense of touch as well as sight.

BTO, "Not Fragile". An album cover of a wood box filled with metal gears in a topographical format where you could feel the shape of the gears and box above the flat cover.

[​IMG]

Led Zeppelin III

With the turning wheel at the side that rotated the inner pictures to display different pics as you turned it. (Not sure I'm describing this very well, but anyone who had the LP knows what i mean). Along with a wide array of psychedelic drawings and blimps, made for some amusing times, especially if in an altered state.

Others?

[​IMG]

2. Stretch15

Stretch15 Member

Re: Best/Favorite Album Covers

[​IMG]

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

4. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Nice!

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I'm sure I'll have more to add later on, but the first one that comes to mind is Metal Box by Public Image Limited. It was a four-LP (or EP) thing that came in a film canister. As I recall it was only available as a pricey import. Budy of mine had it and the albums were jammed in so tight you had to turn it upside down and hit the bottom of it to get the albums out.

Another: London Calling, a great take on the first Elvis album cover.

And Tenement Steps by the Motors (which featured the awesome "Love And Loneliness") which had "stairs" in the top right corner.

6. Chef

Chef Active Member

Could be any number of albums by Pink Floyd

Division Bell

Wish You Were Here

Momentary Lapse of Reason

Aerosmith also had some great ones......

Get a Grip

Pump

7. Re: Best/Favorite Album Covers

Practically any Iron Maiden album cover featuring Eddie.

[​IMG]

8. Re: Best/Favorite Album Covers

[​IMG]

9. Mr. Sluggo

Mr. Sluggo Active Member

[​IMG]

10. Re: Best/Favorite Album Covers

Capt. Kirk --
    Major props for the Pete Townshend solo sig line.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Always worked for me...

12. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

thank you, sir. A good tune and a nice message to me that getting/growing old is something we can clearly control through our behaviors and attitudes. Not sure that's exactly what Pete was saying, but that's what I take it from it.

And not surprised that someone of your caliber of musical taste took notice...

Draft saved Draft deleted