1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best defense a good offense, but do we have any other QBs?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ScribePharisee, Jan 27, 2009.

1. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

And this team is, say, the Cincinnati Bengals, to put some light on a really sad situation.

Cutting space, staffs to the bone, websites not drawing readers but people griping in disgust when the print editions cut something else. If you don't know that just check out the APSE series on less space.

With the layoffs at major manufacturing companies today, I went to several journalism websites to see what jobs were available and where:

Gannett: Zero in news.
    CNHI: One.
    APSE: Averaging one a month the past three months.
    Lee: Two posted in the last week (10 on the site in news but some have grown stale).
    Freedom: None.
    Ogden: Five.
    McClatchy: Zero.

That's 10. Ten. A single journalism class would have more people.

Cripes, people. When is it time for someone out there to demand an offensive? If everything is defensive, you'll never score and if you don't score, you've lost. Basic life principle. Doesn't anyone up there get it and when is it time to say enough is enough? What are the penny-pushers even around for at this point?

There's got to be something of an offensive move here. There has to be.

Newspapers are still phucking relevant.

I weep.

2. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Those numbers are so depressing. But so are pretty much any numbers related to this profession.

3. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Those are the numbers related to this profession.

And the Harper's article on a related thread "We Are Not Alone" signals we're probably already in the Great Depression II. Remember, these liars and so-called financial gurus didn't realize we were in a recession until we'd been there nine months.

4. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

No, newspapers could be phucking relevant if not for the publishers who gave up. Newspapers in their current state of slashes pages and staffs are not relevant. Maybe a few still are, but give it another six months and newspapers will not be relevant.

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Got any suggestions?

Your point bears out what I've been saying all along: NO ONE is hiring right now. Seriously, such-and-such paper lays off 20 people. I'll send in my resume the next day. What do you think my chances are?

Like you said, this is happening in a LOT of industries, not just media.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

He's still correct:

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

This is why J-Schools need to start limiting the number of people they allow into their programs. Cut it in half. No point setting up some of those folks for failure.

Draft saved Draft deleted