1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best debut album

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Trey Beamon, Jul 26, 2007.

1. The young shockey furnishes his home office, while The Bronx Is Burning!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Great story. I can sympathize with your critic. In my music mag days in 1987-88 we received boxes of albums (yes, vinyl) every month and almost everything was shit.

The Pretenders' debut was a remarkably tough, self-assured record. They never quite sounded like that again in large part due to the death of guitarist James Honeyman-Scott who, had he lived, might have garnered a mention or two on the Best Guitarist thread. As it is, his solo in "Tattooed Love Boys" is awesome, one of my all-time faves.

Shockey, not sure if you know that the debut has been rereleased with a second disc of demos and live stuff. Very cool.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

appreciate the heads up!!

4. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

All this and no one brings up Greetings from Asbury Park? Perhaps not "the best ever," but damn good.
    And I'm glad someone early threw out The Band's Big Pink.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I'll echo the comments for Elvis Costello's "My Aim Is True," Nick Lowe's "Jesus of Cool," "The Clash," and X's "Los Angeles."

And I'll add...

The English Beat, "I Just Can't Stop It"
    Joe Jackson, "Look Sharp"
    Echo & the Bunnymen, "Crocodiles"

Has anyone mentioned the first Van Halen album?

6. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

Spinal Tap's debut album.

7. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

1) The Pretenders
    2) Lone Justice
    3) Elvis Costello -- My Aim Is True

Honorable mention of sorts to Fleetwood Mac's self-titled 1974 album. Yeah, they had a dozen or so albums before then, but this was the debut of Buckingham/Nicks. It wasn't as good as Rumors but, then again, what was?

8. duckncover

duckncover Member

Asbury Park. Springsteen. Still underappreciated.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Two very good calls, there. Those albums still sound great today.

I'll also add Rockpile's only album, Seconds Of Pleasure, and two from the country section: Guitar Town by Steve Earle and Guitars, Cadillacs Etc. Etc. by Dwight Yoakam.

Draft saved Draft deleted