1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best damn thing Bush has done in a while....now give him his due

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ScribePharisee, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

You missed my point. Manipulating a situation for political gain, regardless of the consequences, should not be tolerated.

For the record, I don't believe Congress (Republicans) dropped gas prices for political gain two years ago. Just like I don't believe Congress (Democrats) are raising them for political gain now.

2. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Other than the hopelessness of the McDonalds character's thoughts, the upside is this is averaging an impressive post per minute for 24 minutes. That's either impressive or a venomous attack on anything Bush.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And the funny part is that, unlike previous election years when gas tends to start dropping between Labor Day and bottoms out around Veterans Day, this year i think you're sadly right.

4. ScribePharisee

If you don't think that prices could drop just on the news of this, you don't pay much attention to Wall Street, where they do as they damn please.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Another sop to the oil industry. Brilliant!

6. Grimace

Grimace Guest

Explain to me how trading on Wall Street directly affects the price of oil. Explain to me how trading on Wall Street supercedes the demand for oil from China and India, the situation in the Middle East, the weak American dollar and the oil speculators.

Oil is a global market.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I remember once in my adult life when gas prices dropped in a relatively short span in the neighborhood of 45 cents per gallon outside of extreme events. There was the spike right after Katrina, followed by a nearly equal drop within a week or so. Other than that, they have steadily advanced upward, though the ascension has been more rapid in recent months. If the national average is any less than 3.85 a gallon after Labor Day, I'll be shocked. The prices aren't going down. I'm not saying anytime soon. I'm saying ever. They'll continue to go up.

8. ScribePharisee

You haven't read about speculators? Damn.

9. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Boy, I've never seen anyone hate America like Oz does.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Wall Street and the Comex operate independently.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Well, there's the small matter of the OPEC countries liking the idea of making money.

And I haven't really seen anybody responsible claim that extra drilling in the Gulf and ANWR is a magic bullet solution. But it is a way to help stabilize the market while making the transition to a multi-source energy future. Curiously enough, all the liberals who scream about our addiction to oil seemingly only want to cure it using the Nancy Reagan "Just Say No" approach.

12. Grimace

Grimace Guest

No, it's not. There won't be enough oil produced to stabilize the market. Best-case scenario is that it's a decade away. Even then the savings will be so small as to be insignificant. It's pointless.

Draft saved Draft deleted