1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Customer Service, Apple, -New American Model?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Feb 18, 2014.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Why? Seriously. People demonstrate over and over again that they don't mind being treated like crap (or having others treated like crap on their behalf) if they can save 50 cents. Why shouldn't business owners and shareholders recognize that reality?

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

No one is stopping them. I'm sure they won't miss my money.

3. cranberry

They won't miss my money, either, but there's little incentive for businesses and shareholders to improve customer service.

4. MisterCreosote

So, in other words, it's dead. Or, at the very least, dying.

I said the same thing yesterday morning. Why the argument?

5. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I have a grocery store about a five minute walk from my house. Instead, I go to a Wegmans that's a 15-20 minute drive away, over a toll bridge, because they have a great selection and their workers are always friendly and helpful. Even when it's packed, it's a way better shopping experience than the other grocery store options around here.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

What do we consider good customer service?

A smile, a greeting, "please" and "thank you" go a long way. And, you're think that would cost nothing, but sadly it does require training, which is expensive.

You want a knowledgeable staff, that can answer questions, and help solve problems? That costs even more.

Southwest Airlines consistently ranks high in customer service surveys. But, they are a mostly no frills airline. The staff is usually polite, and even fun, and they exceed low expectation. (It does help that they don't hit you with a baggage fee at the airport too, but they've ranked high since before that was even an issue.)

I'd say the service at Home Depot, Best Buy, and my local supermarket is pretty low. Occasionally you get a knowledgeable staffer, but it's pretty rare. And, they never have enough people working checkout. (Maybe best buy does, but not Home Depot or the grocery store.)

Now, am I going to shop elsewhere? Probably not. FOr the most part, I know what I want. I know where to find it. The price is right, and I can still get in and out in a relatively short time.

If they spent money to offer better service, would I value it? Would I want to pay more? Probably not. Would you?

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Spot on.
    Walmart isn't destroying the American way of life. That's a bunch of nonsense.
    What is happening is that way in which people shop has changed and continues to change.

I have the tools necessary to research my purchases for quality, features, price, etc. Clothing, car, groceries, phone, computer software, etc.
    As a consumer, I need less in the way of customer service. I want to get in and out as quickly as possible. I might need you to tell me where something is physically located in your store if I can't find it.

I don't even want the person to be especially nice. I'm not looking to chat, and I get a bit creeped out by unnecessary hellos and goodbyes at stores.
    I'm looking for: not rude and not uncivil.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Did you purposely make "Walmart" into a link?

Edit: It did it to mine to. Weird. Why? How?

Walmart Walmart Walmart Walmart Walmart

Edit Edit: And, now it's no longer a link. WTF?

9. cranberry

I wasn't arguing. You stated that good customer service "should be built into any respectable business's operating budget" and I was wondering if you actually had a reason why it should be built into the operating budget.

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I didn't do anything.

11. MisterCreosote

Because I am in no way convinced that a majority of customers don't care about good service.

Customers are the entire reason your business exists. You should treat them well and show at least a modicum of appreciation out of basic human decency.

I thought that was pretty obvious.

People here can say they don't care about it, but I'd be willing to make the completely uncontroversial assertion that your business won't be successful long, or certainly won't be respected, if you make it a policy to treat customers like shit.

12. cranberry

While customers might say they care about good customer service they consistently demonstrate they will sacrifice that for less expensive products. They get what they want.

Draft saved Draft deleted