1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Current Sports Sections

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Gator_Hawks, Oct 23, 2009.

1. ringer

ringer Active Member

I like the NY Daily News too, because it's one of the few (perhaps only) papers that values investigative journalism enough to invest in a four-person I-team.

2. AD

AD Active Member

good call on the buffalo news. vastly underrated and incredibly talented and devoted staff. another smaller place i like because it's still idiosyncratic (read: a bit crazy): the arkansas democrat-gazette. by simply standing still and continuing to depend on unique voices while the rest of the mid-levels dummied down, it stands now as one of the more unusual papers in the country.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Great guy and one of the unique SE's in America. Gotta see it to believe it. Helluva writer, too.

4. fleaflicker

fleaflicker Member

I hope this poster is not talking about the Dallas that's in Texas. He must mean the Dallas in Pennsylvania, or maybe one near Seattle. The one in Texas explains what its stock is worth.

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

For a mid-sized daily, Omaha kicks butt. Their wraparounds for Nebraska and their College World Series sections are premium.

6. chase.colston

chase.colston Member

Five or six years ago, it was Dallas hands down. Today, it's nothing but a shell.
    The DMN has helped things by hiring back Gerry Fraley and Evan Grant, but Evan's major talents will go unused with the paper not covering the Rangers. But, the major columnists are weak. Sherrington is great, but he's more of a feature guy than a columnist.

Beyond that, the FWST puts out the superior section in the Metroplex. I like the Cowboys coverage better, and I'll read Galloway over anyone at the DMN.

Talking about the best of the best, it's the Washington Post.

7. EditingTool

EditingTool New Member

For Sunday sections, I enjoy getting my hands on The Daily News and the Boston Globe.

It almost feels quaint to be a connoisseur of Sports sections. Long may they live.

8. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

I'm just curious. When was that? It's certainly not been in the decade I've lived in the Chicago area. I will give them credit that they've been doing a decent job lately under the circumstances. Maybe it's just that the Sun-Times has fallen off that much after its losses.

9. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Totally agree. Seeing what the DMN had used to be a required morning ritual. Not anymore. The deterioration of that section is sad and shocking. Welll, maybe not all that shocking, considering what's happening to the entire industry.

10. bob

bob Member

It's telling that there's so little love for The Boston Globe. It would have been near the top of the list five, 10 years ago. Today it's a shell of its former self. But I guess you can say that about most sports sections.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

the globe sports section was a great, torturous journey of a read 6 years ago. they went aggro on every sport, every bostonian team. columns up the gazoobo ... everything. but, that was then.

the long beach press telegram was top-shelf 20 years ago when i began there. but again, that was a different era.

the washington post on mondays during football season is fantastic. love the skins/NFL coverage.

i'm also an NY post fan.

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

A few years ago, at this time of year (NFL and college football, baseball playoffs, NHL under way and NBA starting), we would have had a Sunday section of 24 pages. Easily. A 14-16 page regular section and an 8-10 page college football section.

In 1997, with local team in World Series, we had a 30-page Sunday section.

Now we're at one section, 14 pages.

Draft saved Draft deleted