1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best convenience store

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Feb 23, 2012.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Beer and liquor isn't a consideration in this state. I do notice when we leave that the selection is usually fairly good at convenience stores.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Any decent chain would be an improvement here, where RaceTrac might be the best of a sad lot. Kangaroo is hit or miss, and everything else seems to have a half inch of dust on it.

Loves has been building a ton of truckstops in our state. Decently nice, but pricey.

3. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Without reading the whole thread, I will say that the best convenience store is the one that actually keeps their coolers cold. Really, really cold.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

What kind of store is this??

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Is that from Clerks?

6. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Winner, hands down. Greatest, cleanest bathrooms in the country. Not cheap, but a generally huge selection of items.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Sheetz is pretty good, but last time I went to one (September), the food had fallen off.

QuikTrip is the shit when it comes to drinks. Never had hot food there. Usually, because it's so close to other places that have better food. Pretty sure QT has honed in only on large cities in the lower Midwest/Great Plains, so you rarely see them out in the boons. (There's one east of K.C. on I-70 I've gone to, but most are inside metro areas.)

8. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Cefco is quickly becoming my store of choice. It's Texas-based, but expanding quickly it seems. Usually clean and quick, plus one of the few places that still lets you pump gas then pay if you don't want to pay at the pump.
    When I go a bit West and North Texas bound, I'll go to Allsups. Most that I've found look old and some even give off a dirty feel, but as far as convenience store food (read mostly fried, artery clogging, heart attack inducing crap) goes, it's hard to beat.
    QuikTrip drink selection is superb.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

It was a happy, happy day for me when the Sheetz store came to Warrenton, Va., in 1995 or so. MTO, baby!

The convenience stories I see in my travels through Mississippi-Alabama-Tennessee are all pretty lame. Not even sure if there's a 7-Eleven in my Tennessee hometown any more.

10. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

QuikTrip used to be in smaller towns in the midwest. They were in Joplin until about 10 years ago. Now most of those locations are Kum & Go.

Kwik Shop is Kroger's chain in Kansas and some parts of Nebraska. They're the QuikTrip of small towns. But in this part of Kansas, you end up hoping there's a Casey's around because the others are mostly dumps. The next-biggest chain in this part of the state is Pumpin' Pete's and they run the gambit from new, shiny high-end stores to total crap.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

What smells like shoe polish?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Screw Pa. and its arcane beer and liquor laws.

Draft saved Draft deleted