1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best concert you never saw

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Steak Snabler, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Got this idea from the music collection thread. What band did you never see in concert that you wish you had?

I'm not talking all-time, but one you could have realistically seen. For example, Led Zeppelin broke up when I was seven years old, so there's no way I really could have seen them.

But among artists who were active and touring since I first started going to concerts, I'd have to say Iron Maiden was the one I most wish I had seen. AC/DC, Alice in Chains and Nirvana were some others I missed out on.

What about you guys?

2. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I missed Nirvana, too, despite numerous chances.

My favorite artist I've never seen is Van Morrison, and I fear I've missed my window. He only comes to the U.S. for a couple of East Coast dates every few years now.

3. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I'd die to see Queen live.

4. Steak Snabler

Saw him at JazzFest in New Orleans a few years back. He was a bit disappointing, as he didn't play many of his old hits. No "Moondance", no "Gloria", no "Brown Eyed Girl."

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I missed The Who, December '79.

6. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I had tickets to two shows on the Grateful Dead's final tour. Didn't make it to either one and never saw them with Jerry Garcia.

The first night I had tickets to was the second of two shows at Deer Creek in Indiana. The cops incited a riot in the parking lot the first night -- showed up in riot gear and started trying to do massive crowd control-- people panicked and ran through the pond into the back of the ampitheater. So the next night was canceled.

Then I had a ticket for one of the shows in what would be their final stand, at Soldier Field, a few nights later, but couldn't get a ride up to Chicago -- my transmission went toast a few days earlier.

Still pretty bummed about it.

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Since I was 8 when Elvis Presley died, I guess I can't include him on my list.
    However my list will include the following:
    - Rolling Stones
    - Paul McCartney
    - Van Morrison
    - the Kinks
    - Queen
    - The Ramones

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Too bad. It was a killer show at Riverfront Stadium.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Elvis
    The Rat Pack at the Sands

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

When I was 18, freshman in college (1981), had two tickets to Earth Wind & Fire and had gotten up the courage to score a date with this babe I had my eye on in Chem 1. Sadly, got bed-ridden with the flu and never got to go out with her or see EWF again.

11. Steak Snabler

Ouch, but it was Riverfront Coliseum, a separate building.

12. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

-The Clash reunion that would've went forward if Joe Strummer had not died

What leads me to believe this would've happened is that Strummer and Mick Jones performed together a few weeks before his passing, and the others re-entered the music scene a few years later.

Draft saved Draft deleted