1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Columnist Ever...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jgmacg, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Re: Best. Columnist. Ever.

Dowd is still a go-to columnist for me, a reason to pay a buck

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Re: Best. Columnist. Ever.

Well, I'm A) embarrassed I had never heard of him and B) gratified when this board opens my eyes to something new. I've got the Amazon link to The Best of Myles bookmarked and will buy in next couple of days after looking into who he was a bit through Wikipedia, etc. Thanks.

3. bdh02

bdh02 Member

Leonard Pitts, agreed with whoever said it a few posts earlier.

4. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Ben, his baseball book Bunts is as good as it is insufferable. It's hard to pull that quality off at the same time.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

LBJ: I don't disagree. His being a class-A prig makes him difficult to handle, because he's not without talent.

6. Re: Best. Columnist. Ever.

what's with the "best. columnist. ever." construction?

god, I hate that

are we in freaking seventh grade here?

"LOL"

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't always agree with Dowd, but she's probably a better writer than anyone out there right now...

8. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Peeve noted.

You'll find the seventh grade class two threads down the hall.

9. Mike Royko, yes, absolutely the best ever. If you youngsters haven't read him, go do it now. No one ever took on the Big Bad Assholes like Mike Royko did.

Carl Hiassen is close, though. I'll read him any day. Wish he wrote more often. He knows what's going on, and it ain't pretty.

I'll take a pass -- or maybe a piss? -- on Dave Barry, though. Used to be great, but, geez, he hasn't written anything fun since, what, 1993? Guy sold out to the rich life, then wants you to come back and see that he's just Your Old Friend Dave............Stay retired, Barry. You're done, man.

Lupica used to be great. He really kicked ass. Then I guess he thought he had a big dick or something.

Note to Mike: Go with what you got..........And by the way, Mr. Pat Riley sez hello.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Hiaasen. Again, not a vote.

Two a's.
    One s.

11. jaredk

jaredk Member

Shouldn't feel bad about misspelling the names of obscure Floridians.....The Miami Herald does it, too.....Here's a correction that ran in the May 5 edition...
    A story about Florida's film industry misspelled the name of author Carl Hiaasen. An accompanying photo caption misspelled the name of singer Jimmy Buffett. The story and photo caption appeared on Page 1C of Thursday's Business section.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The Miami Herald misspelled the name of one of its own employees? Whoa!

Draft saved Draft deleted