1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best College Towns You've Visited

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by expendable, Aug 12, 2006.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Did I stut-stut-stutter muthafucka?

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Austin, Texas is my favorite, though I've never vistited Athens.

3. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Hey jackass, don't start calling people names. I've been copy editing all night, the last thing I wanted to read on here was people's explanations of why they're adding non-college towns to the college-town list.

Simma down now.

4. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Fort Collins
    Los Angeles (Westwood to be exact)
    New York City (NYU, people)
    Las Vegas (UNLV)

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

But there are two DI universities in Portland ... that's why I put the disclaimer there ... clearly I understand that Portland is not a "college town."

6. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Damn, how did I forget that one? I was just daydreaming about Westwood a few days ago.

7. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

I realize. I just didn't read the disclaimer.

I know Portland pretty well. I've covered games there, too, I'm just a northwest girl, so Portland and/or Seattle don't even register for me when people say college town.

8. ogre

ogre Member

a few words...

Counting Westwood is questionable because, cmon, it's in the middle of L.A. That's like putting the U district on the list and acting like it's not Seattle.

I grew up in West Lafayette, went to Purdue and am not too proud to say Bloomington is way better as far as a college town to party in and what not. As for all the slams on WL? Quiet you! I just happy nobody said Lafayette, because it's not the same town.

Tempe is just silly. There are like 80 bars within a couple blocks there. Not the place I would send my daughter.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Doesn't mean it's not eligible for a "best college towns" list.

And didn't I see your girl at the bar called "The Library" downtown last spring? Oh wait, that must've been some other father's daughter. ;D

10. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Laramie, Wyo. Very underrated in my opinion.

Otherwise, lock-step with Boulder, Austin, Lawrence, Madison, Berkeley.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Jim Tom is right. Boston IS a college town, the world's biggest college town, in fact. So I pick us number one.
    New England entries in the more traditional sense of the phrase "college town": Hanover, N.H., Williamstown, Mass. Amherst, Mass. Burlington, Vt.

12. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Yeah I don't get why Clemson isn't more happening. it's hopping on football days, but for being where it is, how pretty it is, etc., you'd think the night life would be out of sight. ... And it's just not.

And Cosmo, I prefer your buddy's rendition of Pussy Control at the Broadway to Rapper's Delight.

Just sayin'.

Draft saved Draft deleted