1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best college QB you ever saw

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Randle El was better than both of the guys ranked above him in that special (Crouch and Smith), but those two won the Heisman and he didn't (however unjust that may've been). I'm suspect the folks making that special simply felt they had to rank the two Heisman winners 1 and 2.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Saw Rodgesr go something like 23-of-24 against a USC team loaded with future NFLers when Rodgers was a junior, I think, at Cal. I was so impressed with his reading of defenses and knowing where to go with the ball, short, long, sidelines, dumpoffs, etc. I knew then he was going to be a terrific pro.

3. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

That is one reason I HATE the Heisman. I voted for Randle El that season. Didn't care what his team's record was.

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

When Craig Krenzel is considered the sixth best quarterback of the decade from the Big 10 you either have to A) consider the legitimacy of said list or B) laugh at how bad the quarterback position in the Big 10 was in the 2000s

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Brad Banks had the best single season of any Big Ten Conference quarterback in the 2000s.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

This guy disagrees:

[​IMG]

His team was 2-8 when he won the Heisman.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Good pull. Hornung won because he was from Notre Dame and played a great game against USC.

If I remember correctly, Johnny Majors, Jim Brown, John Brodie and Tommy McDonald were in the top five.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Wait, didn't he lose to Harvard 29-29?

Paul Horning won the Heisman because at the time, a black man and clearly the best player in the country (and perhaps the greatest running back of all time) couldn't win it.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Or finish second. That was Majors.

10. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

Probably B.

I mean, Brooks Bollinger was #4 for Christ's sake...

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I love how the Big Ten has just photoshopped a century of Nebraska football into its own history. It's like if the editors of Pravda ran the sports information department for major football conference.
    I haven't seen any of the replays of old Nebraska games on the BTN, but have they digitally altered Big 12 logos to look like Big Ten logos?

Draft saved Draft deleted