1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best City in America?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by daemon, Aug 8, 2006.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

All my cities have been outed (many by Hoops :p), but I'm fashionably late to this party, so I'm going to steal from him to start with:

Others on my list include:

Boston (only been there once, though)
    Venice, Calif.
    Newport Beach
    Denver (only been there once, as well)
    New Orleans
    Phoenix/Scottsdale/Peoria/Tempe (during spring training)
    Houston

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Long Beach, California (so big with so many distinct sections). My hometown and I love it even though I'll never live there again.

Iowa City, Iowa (wonderful college town in the middle of cornfields).

Bennington, Vermont (my first stop in New England). Cozy, blue-coller town.

Brattleboro, Vermont (funky, hippy, artsy river town). I'd live there again in a heartbeat.

3. Stretch15

Stretch15 Member

That has to be the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard about Logan. My parents grew up in that valley, and after 30 years of living down in SLC, they moved back. I've spent a great deal of time up there as well.

To say that people who live in Cache Valley, or any other part of Utah, are hounded until they join the Mormon Church is absolutely absurd. To say that people who are not members of the Mormon Church will be ostracized from the community is insane. To say that your children will be shunned in school and kept out of sports/activities is absolutely ridiculous.

You obviously haven't spent any time in Cache Valley or Utah recently. The amount of non-Mormons moving into the state is increasing each year. People are flocking to Utah from California, paying cash for their houses and living happily ever after. We don't target non-Mormons as soon as they move into our subdivision and begin plotting on how we can get them to join our church. There are a good number of non-Mormons on my street, and I have good relationships with all of them.

Cadet - If you had a bad experience with the Mormon Church, its members, or its missionaries, then I'm sorry. But to make such sweeping generalizations about an entire church and a majority of an entire state is irresponsible and illogical.

4. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

In no particular order:

Ft. Lauderdale
    Chicago
    NYC
    Annapolis

5. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

1. Colorado Springs. It has just about everything (except maybe a body of water). Sure, it's pricey, but beautiful. MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL just an hour away, AAA baseball in your backyard, mountains - absolutely gorgeous.

2. Orlando. It does have everything you need, including many bodies of water. If it werent' for the tourists and love bugs, it would be the perfect city. Two coastlines within 45 minutes with bath-water temperatures. Malls and flea markets out the ying-yang. Spring training, Miami Beach in driving distance, Key West for adventure. Hell, maybe Orlando should be No. 1.

3. Kansas City. It has its negatives, but it's the closest thing to a real hometown I have, and I'm damn proud of it.

4. Monterey and Carmel by the Sea, California. Absolute paradise.

6. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Hey, I know a lot of Mormons who won't even consider moving to Utah (or who move in and then move back out)because of how steeped in church culture many of the communities are. Stretch, you can have your anecdotal evidence to support your position, and I'll have mine.

7. Songbird

I forgot Santa Maria and the towns within a 15-mile radius, all of them unique.

Albuquerque, too.

8. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

I'm baffled by Birmingham's inclusion on this list. Dear Lord ...

1. Cannon Beach, Oregon
    2. San Antonio
    3. Portland
    4. Mentone, Ala.
    5. Asheville, N.C.

9. Stretch15

Stretch15 Member

I lived for 10 years in Orlando, so I've experienced life both inside & outside of Utah. Like you, I also know Mormons who wouldn't want to live in Utah. I also know many Mormons who would never live outside of Utah. And, I know non-Mormons who absolutely love Utah, and have no problem with the strong church influence.

To each his own...

10. Cadet

Cadet Guest

You know, I hear Nob Hill is pretty trendy...

11. Songbird

Ehh, that Liquid Lounge is overrated ;)

Love me some Picacho Street lovin' ...

12. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Dude, that shit is nastier than Paris Hilton!

Draft saved Draft deleted