1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Christmas episodes

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ColdCat, Dec 24, 2012.

1. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

After a day of seeing Festivus shout-outs fill my Facebook feed, I started thinking about what the best Christmas (or other related holiday) episodes of TV shows were.
    Once upon a time it was almost the law that you had to have an It's a Wonderful Life or Christmas Carol ripoff (or homage if you will) as the Christmas episode. Now that is a thing of the past and you end up with some varied themes in December.
    So what are your favorite TV show Christmas episodes?

Some of mine. . . .

Married with Children, It's a Bundyful Life. Al gets a visit from an angel, played by Sam Kinison, and realizes his family would be better off without him, and he can't have that. A parody on It's a Wonderful Life as only Married with Children could do it.

South Park, Red Sleigh Down. Jesus and Santa take Christmas, and a whole lot of ammo, to Iraq.

The Simpsons, Grift of the Magi. Bart and Lisa break into a toy company and only Gary Coleman can stop them, except he's a few prawns short of a galaxy.

Seinfeld, The Strike. It's a Festivus miracle!

West Wing, In Excelsis Deo. Toby feels responsible for a homeless Korean War vet who died.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The Saved By the Bell where Zach porks the homeless girl.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

South Park, Woodland Critter Christmas -- A twisted, yet awesome, South Park take on the nativity story

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The "Dear Dad" and the "Death takes a Holiday" episodes of M*A*S*H.

5. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I could name a few of the recent Doctor Who specials, but my favorite is "A Christmas Carol". It's brilliantly done with a great guest appearance from Michael Gambon. I can't wait for this year's special.

6. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

"Death Takes a Holiday" is on my list of all-time favorite M*A*S*H episodes.... Really powerful stuff.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Blood Orgy!

8. HC

HC Well-Known Member

"The Office" Christmas special (UK version)

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

This is going in the way-back machine, but I remember seeing The Partridge Family Christmas episode where the bus breaks down and everyone is freaked out they are going to "miss Christmas." They meet a lonely old prospector in a small town, the bus gets fixed and they go on their way. On Christmas Eve, the church bell starts ringing (I've theorized it was Reuben) and the prospector goes outside to find the Partridges singing Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas.
    The Community Christmas episode in stop-motion and the Eureka Christmas episode featuring various forms of animation (everything from stop-motion, computer graphics to anime) are two of the best from more recent vintage.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

South Park does the best Christmas episodes. Here are some of my favorites, all from sitcoms:

Community, "Abed's Uncontrollable Christmas": This stop-motion episode might be my favorite Christmas episode.
    The Office, "Christmas Party": The Jim and Pam story line was great, but Yankee Swap would have worked without it.
    The Office, "A Benihana Christmas": This might be my favorite Andy-centric episode.
    South Park, "It's Christmas in Canada": Floppy-headed Canadians get me every time.
    South Park, "Red Sleigh Down": No show portrays Jesus better.
    South Park, "Woodland Critter Christmas": This must be the most fucked-up Christmas special ever.
    The Simpsons, "Grift of the Magi": This is the class of Simpsons Christmas episodes, which aren't as numerous as you'd think.
    Seinfeld, "The Strike": It gave us Festivus, though it also may be the show's most overrated episode.
    30 Rock, "Ludachristmas": Liz Lemon's family doesn't get enough run.
    M*A*S*H, "Death Takes a Holiday": On this show could pull off this episode.
    Arrested Development, "Afternoon Delight": The incestual karaoke is incredible.
    Cheers, "The Spy Who Came in for a Cold One": This episode is both funny and heartwarming.
    How I Met Your Mother, "Symphony of Illumination": This is the show's best episode in the past three seasons.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Always liked The Office Yankee Swap better than Benihana Christmas.

Scrubs had a very good one too -- with a young girl giving birth even.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

"Christmas Party" is the Yankee Swap episode.

Draft saved Draft deleted