1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best beers you've ever had

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BRoth, Feb 3, 2007.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Big Newcastle fan here too. Red Stripe as well, though not as much recently. I miss Blackened Voodoo -- is Dixie Brewing ever going to reopen?

Never got Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, even though we couldn't keep the shit in stock when I worked a summer at a convenience store about 12 years ago. Tasted like liquid charcoal to me. And Sam Adams Cherry Wheat tasted like cherry cough syrup that spent WAY too long in the bottle. So maybe I just have a wonky beer palate.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Tiger in a can sucks major ass. But sipping on a Tiger while watching the water flow down the Singapore River rivals any beer experience I've ever had.

1.) Budwieser
    2.) Guinness
    3.) Anchor Steam

My best beer experience has been sipping on a few Buds on the tailgate of my truck with a good friend after deadline.

3. BRoth

BRoth Member

Picked up a bunch of different bottles yesterday for The Game but I had a Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout and it was fantastic. Probably one of the best (oatmeal, at least) that I've had.

Sam Adams Cherry Wheat is great, but I could never do more than 2 or 3 at once ... too sweet. I actually picked up a Sam Adams Honey Porter, too. I've never had it, but Sam Adams hasn't done me wrong yet.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I have yet to find the appeal to flavored beers. Purple Haze, Cherry Wheat, etc. Just doesn't do it for me. If I wanted KoolAid, I'd go to Piggly Wiggly and get it. When I want beer, I want beer.

5. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

Agreed. Pete's Wicked Strawberry Blonde Ale might be the only exception.

Best beers: Downtown Brown and Great White from Lost Coast Brewery. I think they ship across the U.S., so some may have tried those already.

Close second: Anderson Valley Boont Amber Ale.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Got one of those in a mixed pack for Christmas. Great beer.

7. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Who the fuck is Pete? Fuck Pete! :D

8. Hoop Time

Hoop Time Member

Can't argue with the folks who say Yuengling. Used to work right down the street from the brewery. But for my money, the best I have had is Sam Adams Triple Bock, followed closely by Troegs Mad Elf, a seasonal brewed around the Christmas holidays in Harrisburg, Pa. They only make around 6,000 cases of the stuff ... worth every penny of the $45 per case.

We are spoiled in the Harrisburg area. We also have a second brewer -- Appalachian brewing Company, which makes outstanding beers. Their Water Gap Wheat is great -- especially in the summer and the Celtic Knot Red (which was called Riverside Red and sold at the local minor league ballpark -- also named Riverside -- until some other brewery threatened legal action because it already had registered the Riverside name) is also outstanding. Also a big fan of their Kipona Fest -- a Marzen style they brew in the fall.

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Highland Gaelic Ale. Microbrew in Asheville, N.C. Good stuff.

10. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Best beer times I have/have had/hopefully will continue having, have been with Mrs. Fly, pre- and post-marriage. I was a macro swill drinker previously, but now am a serious beer snob. Going to big festivals like the Great Taste of the Midwest in Madison and the Michigan Beer Festival in Ypsilanti each year is fantastic for trying different beers, styles and brewers. Always a grand time.

The easy call for best in Sam Adams Utopias. 26% ABV, very limited amount brewed each year and outrageously expensive IF you can find it. Tastes like drinking a fine cognac.

I'm a big fan of Scottish wee heavys. Orkney Brewing's Skull Splitter and Founder's BC (Grand Rapids, MI) Dirty Bastard are fabulous versions of the style, one from each side of the pond.

New Holland BC (Holland, MI) makes fantastic beers. Their high-gravity series is particularly good, especially the Dragon's Milk and Blue Goat Doppelbock.

Three Floyds BC (Munster, IN) is also a winner. Never had a bad beer from there and they are available commercially in the midwest. Love the Alpha King IPA (and their even bigger Dreadnaught).

Unibroue (Chambly, Quebec) makes fabulous Belgian-style ales. Love the Trois Pistoles and Maudite. The Ephemere Green Apple is one of the best fruit beers I have ever had.

Avery BC (Boulder, CO) hasn't failed me with any of their beers. Really like their Elly's Brown and IPA.

Know I've left many great ones out but this is just going off the top of my head quickly.

EDIT: No offense to anyone but Stella Artois is Belgian pisswater.

11. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

At today's Super Bowl party, I had Fat Tire, Firestone Double Barrel Ale and a very solid Porter that someone brought from Oregon. Don't recall the name of the place, but it was damn fine.

12. North61

North61 Member

Fat Tire and the rest of New Belgium's line.

Heard that they are working on a new distribution center, so it's possible midwest might be getting Fat Tire this summer.

Draft saved Draft deleted