1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best beat writer in the nation

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JackInTheBox, Jul 1, 2006.

1. scalper

scalper Member

Hal McCoy is a total class act. And in case it hasn't been mentioned earlier, he broke the Pete Rose gambling story when Rose was managing the Reds.

And unlike a lot of other guys who are in his league or think they are, I've never known Hal to big-time anybody.

2. slowcenter

slowcenter Member

I read the NBA beat guys much more extensively than those in other sports, so I'll confine my opinions to those.

Top NBA guys in my opinion include Steve Aschburner of Minneapolis Star-Tribune, Phil Jasner at Philly Daily News and Jonathan Feigen of Houston Chronicle. All are veterans who have been at their places a long time and have developed many sources in their towns and around the league......as well as being able to turn a phrase rather nicely.

And no, I don't work at any of their shops.

3. awriter

awriter Active Member

Good call on those three.

On another note, I can't believe this thread hasn't devolved into nothing but name-calling by now.

4. Chris Snow - Minnesota Wild

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Whatever beat Gerry Fraley winds up with now he is out of the Belo bubble. :)

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Uh, that was two jobs ago...

7. Mizzou - it was a joke. He's now in their front office. I bet that gets him the best access.

8. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

The person I really likes is Staff Reports. That guy seems to be everywhere.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

My bad...

10. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Ed Bouchette does an excellent job with the Steelers, though I don't care for his gamers at all. Entirely too much PBP.

11. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

That made me laugh.
    Thank you.

12. Floyd

Floyd Member

Can't we discuss the WORST beat writers? I mean, this post has only been sort of snarky. I feel like we can do so much better.

Draft saved Draft deleted