1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best beat writer in the nation

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JackInTheBox, Jul 1, 2006.

1. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

Ding, ding ding!

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

3. alanpagerules

alanpagerules Member

Bob McGinn in Milwaukee is insanely good.

4. Diddly Poo

Diddly Poo Guest

Why? Why this thread? Best according to whom and according to what? Define 'best". Define 'beat." Which sport? College, pro or high school? Define waste of time discussing a zillion people.

DTGD: you know what it means. Delete This God - OK, delete.

5. carrie

carrie Active Member

Says the newbie. ::)

6. Diddly Poo

Diddly Poo Guest

So having read 1,000 beat writers on a daily basis, one's expert opinion would be what?

Newbie. That's like saying you had to play a sport to report on it. Actually, that's weaker than the jock cry about "what sport did you play?"

Who is the best left-handed baseball writer east of the Mississippi but north of Memphis who uses a Gateway and wears contacts and prefers ranch over thousand island, but has never been to Cooperstown?

7. JME

JME Member

I think what she meant was that you're new here, yet you're ranting about what can and can't be discussed. And ... so much angst.

And I think everyone is smart enough here to realize that this is a subjective question.

8. Diddly Poo

Diddly Poo Guest

A newbie on here may mean one has other things to do, has nothing to do with one's experience in this business, as evidenced in so many threads and assorted exchanges. The "smart enough" is too big a target. :D And yes, indeed, there is angst. Not enough medicine, too much angst. But there are too many 'there is no possible that this can be a legit discussion" threads and this seems like another. Which Waffle House is the best in the land? ... Hmmm. Some hash browns and coffee sound good about now. :eek:

9. The_Plan

The_Plan Member

Well, I wasn't exactly crazy about this thread to begin with ... but honestly, I've checked out some of the names listed and tried to bookmark some of the beat writers to my favorites. It's good to recognize the beat writers that "stand out" and try to read their work and learn from what they do. Obviously, the guys that are mentioned are probably better than most of us (better than me anyways), so why not take a look at what they do and find a way to imrove my own writing?

That's the way I see it anyways.

Of course, what was once a "bad" thread in your opinion ... is now a "horrible" thread, and we owe it all to you. You took it upon yourself to bitch and complain, take it completely off-topic, and get in side-bar discussion about Waffle Houses and other ridiculous thoughts.

If you don't like the thread, move on and read a different one. There's plenty of others. ;)

10. The_Plan

The_Plan Member

That was me. I just think she does a TERRIFIC job.

11. Overrated

Overrated Guest

No kidding we're not going to reach a consensus on this...or other threads like it. It's more a way to hear who the good or great ones are. There are plenty of writers I've never heard of before and I feel like I'm missing out. Threads like these help uncover those.

p.s. My fave is Chris McCosky. He does a solid job with the Pistons...eventhough he's kind of a dick.

12. whoever said McGinn is right. he sets the standard for all NFL team beat guys.

Draft saved Draft deleted