1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Bass Players

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by boots, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Another one who couldn't play well. She is hot though.

John Paul Jones may be ome of the most talented bass players whose best stuff wasn't on bass. Great arranger, and Butthole Surfers producer!

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Coulda fooled them, the way they toured without him.

What was John Paul's line at the HOF induction? Something like "It's good to be here, these guys forgot my phone number," or something like that, and Page and Jones are just staring death daggers at one another.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Mingus
    Phil Lesh

4. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

That doesn't mean he didn't make them better on stage and in the studio. The questions about the personal issues between the three have never been satisfactorily answered, but they sound better with him.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

Cliff Burton

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Jack Casady

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

P-Nut, 311; Flea, RHCP; Mike Herrera, MxPx.

8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Garry Talent

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Yo P-Nut, beat that thang...

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

I wasn't disagreeing with you, just noting that Page and Plant never seemed to graph what they had in Jones.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That's all I need to hear. The dude is absolutely amazing.

12. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

'Bout fuckin' time someone mentioned him. Hands down one of the top 10 bassists in rock. Not just metal, but rock in general. When Hetfield and Ulrich were first scouting him, they thought he was a guitarist until they counted the strings on his instrument. RIP, man.

His successor (Jason Newstead) was pretty damn good, too. Poured a ton of energy and intensity into every concert and I felt he had a good stage presence, as well. Too bad things didn't work out.

Godsmack's Robbie Merrill isn't that bad, either.

Draft saved Draft deleted