1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best baseball writers?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by txscoop, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Every person mentioned on this thread is an outstanding journalist. I would be remiss if I didn't stick up for my old paper's baseball troika, Jeff Horrigan, Tony Massarotti, and Michael Silverman. They each have different strengths which complement each other wonderfully.

And of course I love Tyler Kepner. He went to my prep school alma mater, Tower Hill School in Wilmington, Del. In point of fact, he had his own baseball newsletter when he was 13. When I was at the Phoenix, I arranged for him to get a tour of Fenway.

Gosh, I'm old.

2. BarbersGmen

BarbersGmen Member

You're not. I love baseball stats as much as the next person, but my head was swimming after that too.

3. was that the prep school where Tom Verlaine and Richard Hell met?

there can't be many prep schools in Delaware

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Love Hal McCoy. I am a Reds fanboy so I'm biased, but he pulls no punches with the team. His weekly e-mail column/mailbag is hilarious.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Dear writethendrink: There are more prep schools in Delaware than you might think. Enough to form a conference anyway. Tower Hill was a country day school-prep without overnights. The two musicians you mentioned must've gone to one of the two boarding schools, Sanford (where Walter Daivs did his PE year before North Carolina, and did a number on my brother when the latter tried to defend him) or St. Andrew's (where Dead Poets Society was filmed).

6. Troy Renck mentioned in the same galaxy as Verducci and Eades?

Someone is nuts.

Check this random selection from Renck:

Port St. Lucie, Fla. - Scott Rolen is in a hurry. Rain falls outside, promising a severe storm. He wants to leave Tradition Field. Doesn't need an interruption, so the interview request is poorly timed at best.

"Scott, you got a second?" I ask.

"Let's see, I can talk to you or get to my wife and child. What should I do?" Rolen responds.

Ah, the defending champion St. Louis Cardinals, a team that wears rings because they are adept at making tough decisions. The Cardinals won the World Series after winning just 83 games last season. They staggered into the playoffs, teeth-gnashing and criticism echoing in their skulls.

The Mets, Dodgers and Padres made trading deadline upgrades. The Cardinals, undercut by a thin farm system at a time when young players are the game's currency, remained perched, unchanged.

A month later, the baseball establishment was swallowing its tongues as the Cardinals upset the Detroit Tigers for their first title since 1982.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    Logic of the lead escapes me.

And we have teeth gnashing and tongues being swallowed in the first few paragraphs alone.

Yikes........

7. Moondoggy

Moondoggy Member

That's Marc Lancaster. He moved to the Tampa Trib this year. You're right, too. He's very good.

8. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

yes he is

9. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

I'm not Paul, nor do I work at The PD, but Hoynes' Indians coverage is very good.

As a Bucs fan, I've grown to like Kovacevic as well.

10. boots

boots New Member

I should have included myself but I see that others named me.

11. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

that's funny... last year boots gets on me about how he's a big-time nfl writer

football and baseball beat? guy is amazing. just amazing, and worthy of all our admiration

Draft saved Draft deleted