1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best baseball writers?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by txscoop, Apr 4, 2007.

1. KnuteRockne

KnuteRockne Member

Rob Neyer

2. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

I second Buster. I read him at the Times and he was the guy I tried to pattern myself after. Since he has been at ESPN, he doesn't really write with the same eloquence though. I loved him covering the yankees at the Times and is a very good read.

3. John

John Well-Known Member

The guy at the Cincy Post kicks ass.

4. I've always liked Tyler Kepner, the Yankees beat writer for the Times.

He does a very good job making game stories and features enjoyable for hardcore and casual baseball fans. He's a thorough and consistent reporter and writer on a brutally competitive beat. Following Buster Olney on the beat was a tall order, but I think Tyler's body of work is very impressive, and I don't think you'll find many people who will argue with that.

5. DavidPalmer4Prez

DavidPalmer4Prez New Member

I've enjoyed reading Barry Svrluga (Wash Post). It's tough to make the gawd-awful Nationals interesting, but he does.

6. KnuteRockne

KnuteRockne Member

Nate Silver

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Gordon Wittenmyer's pretty damned good, IMO. He used to cover the Twins, and just took over as the Cubs beat writer for the Sun-Times.

8. John

John Well-Known Member

Charles Prince

Wait. You said baseball, not beach ball right? Never mind...

9. OrangeGrad

OrangeGrad Member

Hal McCoy in Dayton, Ohio. The best out there.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Twenty-one posts in and no one suggested TXscoop. You're all slipping. :D

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Verducci's overrated. I finally finished the SI baseball preview issue last night and my head still hurts from all of the numbers they throw at you. I know he didn't write every team's preview, but his style is pervasive throughout. When I'm reading him I try and count how many different numbers he can use in a single sentence or paragraph. He uses too many odd stats. Check out this doozy on the Padres:
    "Over the past two years, for instance, San Diego played more games decided by one or two runs (163) than any other NL team; at the same time the Padres won the most games by one run (59) and by two or fewer (87) and had the highest winning percentage in one-run games (.584)." He could have simply said Trevor Hoffman keeps the Padres in ball games.
    I'm sorry, saying Joe Blow hit 23 of 46 from the left side of the plate on the road doesn't mean anything to me. It's not writing - its stat regurgitation. I get OB+S but gimme a break with batting average on balls in play.
    I finished the baseball preview with a lot of information, but not feeling I learned much about any of the teams. And I don't think I'm alone.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Buh... buh... buh.. that's a given, isn't it? ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted