1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Baseball Card pix

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rick Von Sloneker, Jun 19, 2008.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Sorry man, but I can't stand that card. One, because I never got the whole Upper Deck thing. The cards weren't that sharp looking. Yeah, the photography was crisper. But the card design and what not? And the posed photos? Boring as shit.

Mostly, though, I can't stand that card b/c it marks the end of the innocence (hi Zeke!) for the baseball card industry. Upper Deck introduced the obsession with inserts and single cards and killed not only the concept of collecting a full set but also the casual collector. No thanks. Blow it out your ass, Upper Deck.

2. Tripp McNeely

Tripp McNeely Member

[​IMG]

Andy "The Unibrow" Etchebarren.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Very true, BYH. That sent me away from the hobby. I really liked plain ol' cheap Topps cards, but at that time you looked like a tool for collecting Topps unless it was the really old ones.

4. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

BYH is correct about Upper Deck, but at least they were better than Donruss.

Donruss was the K-Mart of baseball cards.

5. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Upper Deck brought it hard a few years ltater with their axtion cards

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I'm on a crappy OS 9 at work, so I can't find the '82 Donruss Jim Sundberg that I posted here once before. That's still one of my favorite card photographs.

Also, Bo's 1990 Score card:

[​IMG]

And possibly my favorite card ever: that 1992(?) Score card of Tom Glavine with a Braves uniform and hockey gear (black and white). Also can't seem to find that with my crappy computer.

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

[​IMG]

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Can't anyone here figure out how to fire a manager play this fucking game?"

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

I agree that was the perception, but I didn't give a crap. Topps produced the first sets I ever completed (1986 leaders, a 66-card set, and the regular 1986 set) and to me they were always the standard. A season wasn't complete until you had the Topps set. Of course, saying that, I only have six seasons of Topps sets (1985 thru 1990). But that's how I felt when I was a collector.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Another cool one:

[​IMG]

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

The hip hop kids think they invented the cap-at-a-rakish-angle thing:

[​IMG]

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted