1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

best bars in america

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HoopsMcCann, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Greene Turtle in Ocean City, Maryland. The food sucked, but it's the only bar I've been thrown out of.

2. Overrated

Overrated Guest

The Double Deuce in wherever Roadhouse was filmed.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'd vote for my local, The Blue Goose. Owner-operated. Still serve draught beer in those old-style 8 (?) oz glasses at $1.35 a pop.
    No tabs, no credit cards and servers (hello, Janice!) who take crap from nobody.

Big circular bar in the middle of the joint and established seating and standing positions for all the regs.

Cheapest beer in Toronto ($4.10 for a pint of Blue).

And they're shooting American Pie 3 there for the next three days.

If you're involved in minor hockey,  coachs' meetings are Sundays at 3:00.  :)

Oh, and the Madison Pub is damn fine.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

There was a great place in Bennington, Mickey's, but it burned down in '98 or '99. Too bad. It was a classic joint for grisled newsies to tie one on after midnight deadlines. Great, sordid characters were the fabric of that bar.

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Pierce Street Annex, Newport Beach, Calif. -- Neighborhood place during the day, license-to-print-money meat market at night, with a long line out the door and a cover for a DJ -- because they have a huge patio where you can smoke, and where you cook your own dinner -- burgers or brats or steaks you've bought from them -- on the huge grill in the middle.

John's Bar, Third Street, LaCrosse, Wis.: Quintessential small-town downtown spot, served 25 cent drafts in my day -- althoug I was almost disappointed to find they have a website: http://www.johnsbarlacrosse.com/

Tobacco Road, Miami -- Blues club, open until 5 a.m. nightly. Although it has been yuppified since it was "saved" in the 1980s.

And then there's my local pub.

That's all I got right now.

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Good call on Tobacco Road -- I only knew it in its yuppified days, but still plenty of atmosphere.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Based on a real bar in Kansas City.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I forgot one.

Pen and Pencil Club, Philadelphia.

I only went there once, but it's a bar for "newspeople." (Less so journalists.) I almost took a job because it was a major factor, it was so cool: http://www.penandpencil.org

Sadly, a Miami equivalent, the 1800 Club (except it was much more than Herald people, it was lawyers, politicians, power people) closed in 2002. I'm pretty sure, although never confirmed, that at least one Absence of Malice scene was either in, or supposed to be in, the 1800.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

The Half-Time Rec, St. Paul Minnesota.

The Red Head Piano Bar, Chicago.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Bull O' The Woods
    The Motherlode
    Red River, New Mexico

One of these, not sure which one, was the setting for the song "Up Against the Wall, Redneck Mother"

Personally, I prefer the Bull.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Stand-up Franks, Minneapolis
    Nye's, Minneapolis

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I should've listed Nye's. Best live polka music around. And I shit you not, get four or five drinks in you, and you will fucking love polka music.

Draft saved Draft deleted