1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

best bars in america

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HoopsMcCann, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Village Pump in Lauderdale-By-The-Sea, Fla.

Elbo Room and Parrot Lounge near the beach in Lauderdale.

Tootsie's in Nashville

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I was just thinking, didn't Esquire just do this within the past three months?

3. pallister

pallister Guest

Green Parrot, Key West

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Salt hill in Lebanon, New Hampshire.

5. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

yeah, but jonesy is doing it again

and they criminally left off the 'hat

6. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

Is the Globe still a good place for a few pints?

7. Songbird

Is Royko's dad's bar still around?

8. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

never been a big globe fan... it's fine and all, but doesn't quite have the dank of the 'hat

and i hear bad things about the globe's tap lines. just sayin'.

but still, it's ok (or it was... haven't been there recently enough. of course, if i was in athens i sure as hell wouldn't be at the globe)

9. Songbird

There's a great little enclave/bar on the 2nd floor at the Jamaica Gleaner building, one floor beneath the newsroom. It was always nice to knock back a few Red Stripes or Guinesses during lunch, which usually always included beef patties.

Oh, bars in America ...

10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The Irish Pub in Atlantic City

11. Jones

Jones Active Member

Yeah, we did the 100 best bars in America a couple of issues ago. We received a lot of hate mail about it. Some people were mad that we'd left their favorite bar off the list; more people were mad that we put their favorite bar on the list and thus ruined it.

Now, we're picking the single best bar in America. Some of the finalists are on our original list. Some aren't.

Mine is in Minneapolis. That's all I can say. But I love this list.

Like I've said before, many times, I love P.J. Clarke's in New York. In Boston, Bukowski's is my favorite. I just went to a place called -- I think -- Cap'n Larry's in Baltimore with a fellow poster. I liked the crab dip just fine.

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Anyplace where I feel comfortable, welcome and have a good time works for me. Musts include good TVs, a place to sit, good choice in music, willingness to put an important game over the PA, a varied selection of beer and liberal policies regarding buy backs and the pour of hard liquor.

Draft saved Draft deleted