1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best backup QB ever?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Magnum

Magnum Member

DOUG WILLIAMS.

Replaced that Schrader dude and won a Super Bowl. Not. Too. Shabby.

2. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Wasn't he a starter in Tampa though?

3. Magnum

Magnum Member

Yes. If I remember correctly, he then went to Canada and came back - as a backup. A very good backup.

4. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Fair enough.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Gotta be Morrall. Only had four seasons in his career in which he was the starting QB, three with bad teams going nowhere, and in the other one, he was (deservedly) the MVP.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Sorry to be the fact/spelling police here but....

...the other quarterback's name was Jay Schroeder (though it was pronounced like it might be spelled Shrader..../Shray-dur/)

Williams did replace in injured Schroeder late in the regular season, but by the playoffs Schroeder was healthy enough to play but Joe Gibbs stuck with Williams. He was the starter all through the playoffs and the Super Bowl

Williams did miss a few plays of the Super Bowl after wrenching his knee early in the first quarter (one of the worst calls in Super Bowl history....he twists the knee...drops the ball as he falls...and though his knee hadn't hit the ground yet, the officials said he was "giving himself up" and it wasn't a fumble. Cost the Broncos a touchdown and a 10-0 lead. Hey, you never know what momentum can do.) Then returned to have that amazing quarter when the Redskins blew it open.

Also, Williams never played in the CFL. He was one of the players that defected from the NFL to the USFL.

7. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Hey coach. Sorry to bother you again, but I forgot to ask you something last night at the volleyball match. Do you know to what hospital Williams was taken following her injury?

8. Magnum

Magnum Member

And all this time I thought his name was Schrader Dude. :D Thanks for the clarification, officer. Next time I'll slow down and bother to check my facts before posting.

In any case, my point was he was a backup when the season started and a backup as it went on - until Schroeder got a boo-boo. The fact that he never lost the starting job even after the starter got healthy sort of proves the point that he was a pretty good backup.

9. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

Who ever is the backup QB for the Cleveland Browns at all times.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Or that Schroeder was fucking terrible.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I always liked Brooks Bollinger. Anybody? Anybody? Brooks Bollinger?

12. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

Steve Beuerlein. He was half backup, half starter his whole career, but I'd definitely throw him into this discussion.

Draft saved Draft deleted