1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best athlete you ever played against?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WaylonJennings, Mar 14, 2010.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I don't know if this chick was the best athlete I have ever played against but she certainly was further out of my league than anyone I had ever played against --

When I was in college, I dated a girl who played softball at local Division I college.

Me being me, of course, was always running my mouth about how easy it is to hit a fastpitch softball and how they weren't real athletes and my girl finally had enough and she said she'd bet me $50 that the pitcher from her team could throw me 20 pitches and I wouldn't be able to put one in fair ball territory.

I was like '20 pitches, shit, I could hit one with my eyes closed'.....

So the rules were this - we'd get a neutral party (one of my friends) to "ump" and only pitches that were reasonably close to the strike zone counted (for the record, she threw me 22 total) and of course, I had to swing away and couldn't bunt.

The first three or four I had no chance of hitting because I was jumping out of the batter's box while I was swinging like a chicken because I didn't want to get hit by that thing whizzing past me.

The next few I swung so early I could have cocked the bat twice and still had a chance to hit it but that assumes I could see it, which, I really couldn't.

I had no prayer of even making contact with them sonbitches and the one I (by luck) fouled off, I thought I was going to cry because the bat hurt my hands.

I humbly paid the bet to my girl and learned never to fuck with fastpitch softball pitchers.

2. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

I faced off against Josh beekman at a football camp. He was a huge dude then and he's a huge dude now. He's an offensive lineman for the bears.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The Danny Nee era at OU... Someone else is remembers the fun of the Mediocre-Athletic Conference from my era

4. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

From the other thread...

I ran against (not in the same race, but at different times) Alan Webb, Lopez Lomong, Bobby Curtis, the cops, Josh McDougal and Dathan Ritzenhein.

AND

I was at a local YMCA playing some basketball with my friends and then this group of five comes walking in. One of them is Laron Profit.

No one can "D" him up, first of all because we were all white, second of all, he was pretty good, so he scored at least 19 of the 21 points on us in the game. I think we had one or two points and they were coming down the floor with a chance to win the game with a basket.

I was in the paint with my friend and I saw Profit sprinting out of the corner of my eye toward the lane. I moved out of the way, right as he elevated to the rim. He caught an alley-oop right on top of my friend who turned as Profit's "hammer" slapped him in the face.

5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I played against Rocco Baldelli in a pick-up basketball game. He viciously dunked on me at one point. (I'm 5'9" but typically play the three.) Guy always had freakishly athleticism, and I think he won several Rhode Island state track meet events despite minimal practice time.

I was on the same Little League team as Mike Megrew, who would later go on to be drafted by the Dodgers, and made it as far as AAA, I think. The weird thing is that he came out of nowhere his junior and senior years to 1) add a couple MPH on his fastball and 2) shoot up to 6'6", roughly. In 9th grade Little League, he was just a big, gangly kid, and I probably hit for as high of an average as he did. By senior year, he had thrown several no-hitters and gotten drafted by the Dodgers.

6. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I'm from Western Pa., but didn't exactly play against any local legends in high school.

The best I faced were former Giants CB Will Peterson (now Will James), and a couple D-I basketball players in David Young (Xavier, second round pick of the Sonics) and Aaron Lovelace (Duquesne). Also had a classmate on the Mets' Class AAA team. He'll probably make the bigs since he's now with the Royals.

7. He displays that arm on Letterman every year, in fact.

You must know him by his real name, then. He's actually listed in the Phone Book under it.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I think they are taught a different swing than baseballers and chop down on the ball.

You were mark. :)

9. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Ya know, I don't. This all happened more than 30 years ago, when I was a college student and he was a hotshot DJ in Charlotte. I'm only dimly aware of what he';s up to now. Enlighten me via PM, if you get the chance.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I've also played against a bunch of D-2, and D-3 players that dominated my life in men's church basketball tournaments.

Last year I played against some former guard from Eastern Illinois, and another kid who was about 21 who said he held the Wisconsin High School record for three pointers. I believe him as he hit about 12 on our team. In the first half. Without moving his feet.

There was also the players from Illinois State, UNC-Wilmington, Guelph University.

Common theme through all of these tournaments is my squad getting killed.

11. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

vs. Richie Sexson in baseball and football
    vs. Jason Schmidt in baseball
    vs. David Ritchie in football
    vs. Travis Lee in football
    vs. Robert Ramsay (one-time MLB pitcher) in baseball
    vs. too many Div. 1 and minor league (A to AA) pitchers to remember or list

12. There was this kid from my town, Marcum Banks. He was about 2 years older than me. When I was in 4th grade and he was in 6th grade, 10 of us played him and 2 friends. We got killed. In one game I saw him play, after the 1st quarter he had 4 touches. 3 Tds and 300 yds. As a running back/kick returner. He moved to Florida about 2 years ago.
    Also, My cousin (as his dad as the coach) played Ben Gordon. Dropped 40 on them. Everyone called him Benji.

Draft saved Draft deleted