1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best arms (non pitchers/cathers) in baseball, 1970 to present

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 93Devil, Aug 9, 2010.

1. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Not sure if anyone is old enough to remember, but I have always wondered what kind of arm Yogi Berra had when he played in left.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

After I saw Clemente, Vlady and Bo Jackson mentioned, that was the next name I was looking for, to see if anyone mentioned him.

3. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

I remember a game at Shea where Guerrero fired a one-hopper to home from the warning track and nailed a Met at the plate. The player (I can't remember who) had a look of, "Where the *&%#%& did that come from?"

Shawn Green had a good arm. Don't know if anyone mentioned Dave Winfield.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Somebody once put a radar gun on Dunston. Flat-footed, 87 mph from short to first.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I have read that as a catcher, Yogi's arm wasn't that well respected. Jackie Robinson only stole one base on Yogi in the 1947 World Series, but before the series there was apparently some trash talk about how they were going to feast on him.

6. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

That's kind of why I always wondered why they stuck him in the outfield instead of at first base. If his arm was average behind the plate you would think teams would run all over him as an outfielder.

That stat about Dunston, by the way, is amazing.

7. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Ditto about Dunston's arm.

The reason Yogi went to left is because the had no other option? Moose Skowrun was a decent hitter, but couldn't play the outfield so first was out of the question. Rightfield was Maris. And I don't Berra was athletic enough by that point to switch to third ala Bench. The Yank's other OF option in 1961-62 was Hector Lopez, who was a bad outfielder.

8. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Johnny Damon has to be on this list.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Dewey. my personal fav had such a hose you forgot about the awful .240 BA (until Hriniak got a hold of him)

Loved to watch Winfield and Parker throw, even while rooting for the opponent.

Ichiro, from the first time I saw him, is one of the smoothest throwers I've ever seen, from the pickup to the release.

Draft saved Draft deleted