1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best announcer duo (local broadcast division)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Corky Ramirez up on 94th St., Feb 12, 2008.

1. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

We had this discussion at work tonight...who were the best duo play-by-play/color duo across the four major sports who didn't do NBC/CBS/ABC/Fox? Figured I'd bring it up here.

My vote went to Fred Cusick/Johnny Peirson, the longtime duo of the Bruins on WSBK TV-38. Which is funny, because I HATED Cusick when he was with Derek Sanderson, being a Whalers fan growing up. That SCORE!!!! after every Bruins goal drove me nuts...especially since it happened against the Whalers often.

But as I've grown older and become a Bruins fan, and have gotten my hands on old Bruins telecasts...Cusick, and Peirson especially, were damn good. Peirson's analysis was top-notch.

I just looked Fred up on wikipedia...he broadcast Cape Cod Baseball games last year...at age 89!! Good for him.

2. Michael Echan

Michael Echan Member

This thread begins/ends with John Sterling & Suzyn Waldman.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Vin Scully and his microphone.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

END OF THREAD!

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Harry Doyle and Monte were pretty fucking solid, too.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

The murph and Gary Cohen. OK, so they couldn't stand each other off the air and the Murph lost several dozen mph off his fastball in his later years. Still nothing as soothing as the sound of Murph crackling thru the radio.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

It wasn't so much that they couldn't stand each other as it was Cohen couldn't stand Murf smoking in the booth.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

I dunno. I remember some awkward pauses in the booth when they disagreed with one another. It seemed to go beyond Murph smoking like a chimney.

Regardless, I thought it was pretty cool of Cohen to serve as the MC any time the Mets honored the Murph.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Cohen has great respect for Murph's place in Mets/baseball broadcasting history.
    But I heard he complained to the higher ups about Murph chain smoking in the booth and Murph got very pissed.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Flyball. Caught.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I don't think I ever heard Murphy live. I grew up listening to Kiner, McCarver and Thorne -- in various years -- before Howie Rose and Fran Healy took over my television in the late '90s.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

I guarantee you heard him on the radio, Mikey.

Draft saved Draft deleted