1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best and worst sports moments for cities

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, May 27, 2019.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

But you had John McKay.

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Anaheim:

Best: 2002 World Series, Game Series win.

Worst: 1986 ALCS, Game 5, Donnie Moore pitching to Dave Henderson.

3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Fuck you.

Sincerely,
    19-year-old Giants fan me

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

No because the Red Sox existed.

5. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I thought about both of those and the 1960 race - I had a childhood buddy whose uncle died in the scaffolding collapse that injured some incredible number of people.

All of it was before my time. I went with '55 because growing up all I heard about from the old guys that taught me to love the 500 was how great Vukovich was and how stupid it was that he got killed by lapped traffic.

maumann likes this.
  6. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Wouldn’t Joe Carter’s walkoff series-ckinching HR be the specific moment?

7. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

For many, yes. But a lot of people here put Alomar’s home run off Eckersley in Game 4 of the the ‘92 ALCS up there too.

JC and Huggy like this.
  8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

And I am one. Enormous moment.

9. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Sid Bream

10. Patchen

Patchen Well-Known Member

Kansas City
    Best - Hosmer scoring from third on on infield hit to tie World Series Game 5 at 2-2. Royals won 7-2 to end 30 mostly bad seasons. The playoffs seemed unlikely, let alone a title. That play said a lot about the Royals, who won with smarts, speed and contact hitting.

Worst - So many Chiefs playoffs losses. For older fans, it’s the 1971 Christmas Day loss to Miami in double OT, which ended a great AFL/NFL era for the team.
    Last season’s AFC title game loss stings, but there is hope for the future.
    The 1995 Chiefs had home field advantage in the AFC and scored seven points in a loss to the Colts in their first game. That started the nightmare of ineffective quarterbacks and playoffs misery.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The deaths of Joe Delaney and Derrick Thomas. Delaney was especially tragic and he was just getting started on a great career.

FileNotFound and Liut like this.
  12. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Why were the playoffs unlikely? They took the Giants to seven games the previous season and the AL Central was mediocre that year.

Draft saved Draft deleted