1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best American Sportswriting 2006

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SportsScribe5, Jul 11, 2006.

1. SportsScribe5

SportsScribe5 Member

Does anybody know when the Best American Sportswriting 2006 will hit print and be released?

2. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

It's usually in October I believe. I remember covering a football game, but dropping by a Barnes and Noble and getting it.

3. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

According to Amazon, BASW 2006 will be released Oct. 11. (If you hunt around smaller independent stores, though, you might find it a little earlier. I found a copy of last year's BASW in late September.)

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Never had understood why the guy compling this book need's a year's subscription. I wanted to enter a piece one time, and my circ. manager laughed me out of his office. The formula for the BASW seems to be the same year after year: the usual Plaschke, Sally Jenkins, Christine Brennan and about half-dozen other mainstays, with a few off the wall outdoors stories.

5. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

hondo, send in the stuff on your own. from stout's website:

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Jenkins has made it once, in 1995, and Christine Brennan has never made it into the book.

But let's not let the facts get in the way of a good rant.

For what it's worth, Gary Smith has been in 10 times.

Bill Nack and Charles Pierce have each made it seven times.

Rick Reilly and Roger Angel have been in it six times.

Plaschke, Michael Lewis and Peter Richmond have been in five.

Ira Berkow, Linda Robertson, Rick Telender, Michael Leahy, Mark Kram Jr., and David Remnick have been in four.

Michael Bamberger, Tom Boswell, Frank Deford, Steve Friedman, David Halberstam, Pat Jordan, Mark Kram, Leight Montville, and Steve Rushin have each made it three times.

Source: http://www.indiepro.com/glenn/index-to-the-best-american-sports-writing/

(I added in the ones from 2005 for the relevant persons, like Smith, Plaschke, Lewis, Kram Jr., and Ira Berkow.)

7. hondo --
    Seriously, why are you asking the circ guy for professional advice beyond how to get your home delivery on time? Why not just ask the janitor, for god's sake. If you want to be considered, send it in.

8. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

What's the worst thing that can happen? They say no.

9. http://phoenix.about.com/b/a/006648.htm

10. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

[​IMG]

11. 85bears

85bears Member

There's a reason those writers make it into the book year after year.

They are the best writers in our business.

The number of people on here that think the business owes them something just astonishes me sometimes.

12. WSKY

WSKY Member

I'm owed a raise. Wait, I just got one.

Draft saved Draft deleted