1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

best albums of 2008

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HoopsMcCann, Jan 9, 2008.

1. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

Sun Kil Moon, the guy from Red House Painters, newest album, April, is awesome.
    Very mellow, yet....rocking.
    Then I liked Detours from Sheryl Crow. She still knows how to make quality music period, and what with all the stuff she's been through before this album, it made for a good record.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Ingrid Michaelson, "Girls And Boys." Good, quirky indie release.

3. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Just thought I would bring it to the attention of fans of The Hold Steady that the first single from the new album, "Sequestered in Memphis," is available on iTunes. And it's fabulous.

The whole album is floating around in the ether of the Interwebs, too, if you look hard enough.

4. Lunker

Lunker New Member

I'll chime in for Stephen Malkmus' new one, "Real Emotional Trash." A more jamming, experimental effort from the ex-Pavement front man.

Haven't heard the whole album, but I'm really digging Weezer's new single ("Pork and Beans") and video. Funny lyrics, catchy hooks and big guitars.

5. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

It came out a while back in 2007. Still, she's one of my favorite new artists. Saw her in concert headlining a show with a bunch of other singer/songwriters (the others were Joshua Radin, Cary Brothers, Meiko and Priscilla Ahn). They were all fantastic. Shot, I've noticed from some of your music posts that you dig female singer/songwriters (I can remember mentions of Anna Nalick and Feist I believe). I've been on a huge female singer/songwriter kick this past year so if you want any suggestions, pm me.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Another vote for the Black Keys album; very Marshall-Tucker-meets-Britpop feel to it. Like it lots.

Also really like REM's Accelerate. As noted, back to basics.

Looking forward to the best-reviewed album of the Spring so far (as reviewed in England, that is) Paul Weller's 22 Dreams. Now playing here...

http://www.paulweller.com/

7. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Me too. I didn't like it at first, but it's grown on me quickly.

And tomorrow, I'm going to buy the Red Album by Weezer, which I'm making will make this list soon enough.

9. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

I'll second Malkmus. Saw him live a month or so ago and came away really impressed. Don't know if the long-form tracks are for him, but they're not necessarily bad.

If anyone's interested, My Morning Jacket has its new album streaming on its MySpace page. I'm halfway through my second straight listen.

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I know I'm dredging this way, way up, but I never knew this song was about the Harvey family. Just went back and listened to it and...whoa. Somehow I had skipped over that when I'd listened to the album before, but what a song. Not just because of the Harveys, but it's just a great song. I was also in Richmond when that happened (you and I actually know each other, Meat) and World of Mirth was indeed a sad place when that happened.

On another note, my brother just got me an eMusic subscription for my birthday and I have 30 songs a month for 3 months. What should I download? I'm going through this thread and cherrypicking (how I found the DBT post originally) and already discovered that eMusic doesn't have the Gutter Twins, which I sampled and loved. So much for my brother saying "They have all sorts of good independent stuff." Any suggestions?

11. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

The best album so far this year for me is the new Death Cab disc. Very solid.

Love the new Old 97s and Raconteurs records, the new REM was good and I'm so-so on the My Morning Jacket. Some excellent stuff and some not so much.

New Jenny Lewis coming in September, so I'm digging that. Same with The Broken West's second album. Heard the first song and it's terrific.

I also want to hear the Fleet Foxes and Beck records.

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I do love the new MMJ, but I've already got that. Spent some of my subscription on the Jason Isbell record, which I dig so far. Didn't know the Old 97s had a new album - may have to theck that out.

Also already had Modern Guilt, and you should most definitely pick it up. I think Beck's last two albums have been really solid without all the fanfare that came with Guero. The title track from Modern Guilt is a fantastic song.

Draft saved Draft deleted