1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

best albums of 2008

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HoopsMcCann, Jan 9, 2008.

1. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

the gutter twins (greg dulli of the twilight singers and afghan whigs with mark lanegan of screaming trees and queens of the stone age) team up for saturnalia, out in march. they just posted a song on myspace, and if 'idle hands' is any indication (and i've been told it is), the album is gonna be a fuckin' monster

also, pj harvey is teamming up with john parish for a follow-up to dance hall at louse point, will come out later in the year

unfortunately, i've already gotten the new drive-by truckers album and pencil it down for the biggest disappointment of the year

2. Dedo

Dedo Member

Damn. That's discouraging to hear, but it's what I was afraid would happen when Isbell left.

By the way, I didn't much care for his solo effort, either.

3. HoopsMcCann

i was so-so on his solo record -- some songs, i thought were fantastic, some, eh

and well, some of the cooley songs on the new album are good. the shona songs, though. ugh.

4. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

I hear Chinese Democracy could drop any day now.

5. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Is that the name of Axl's next kid?

6. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

A girl named Kate Nash just released her debut album called Made of Bricks and on first listen it's really good. She's drawing comparisons to Lily Allen but I think the more apt comparison is Regina Spektor.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. [/slash]

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I love me some Regina Spektor, so I'll have to check that girl out.

9. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Here's her myspace page if you want to get a taste before buying the album which is on itunes for only 8 bucks. http://www.myspace.com/katenashmusic

10. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Shelby Lynne and her sister Allison Moorer both have new albums coming out this year... Shelby's in January and Allison's in February.
    The few tracks I've heard off Shelby's disc harken back to the soulfulness of her breakthrough I Am Shelby Lynne disc and away from the great acoustic music of her last two albums.
    Allison's album is mellow acoustic-ish as well and features some great covers including Ring of Fire; Both Sides Now; Go,Leave; Revelator; and a bunch of others.

Marah's new disc is supposed to be out sometime this month as well.

At some point this year Southside Johnny & the Jukes album of Tom Waits covers, featuring a guest appearance by Waits himself, will be coming out.

11. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I disagree on your lukewarm assessment of the DBT record, Hoops. I think the Cooley songs are fantastic, as are several of the Patterson songs and a couple of the Shonna songs. IMO, they could've trimmed three or four songs off the record, but shit, that still leaves 15-16 solid tracks.

Other than that, I'm definitely looking forward to the new Nada Surf album coming in February, but I haven't been looking ahead too much -- mostly catching up on what I missed from 2007, as always seems to happen when all the end-of-year, best-of lists come out.

ADD: Holy crap, just listened to a few tracks from that Kate Nash album, and it is fantastic. I can definitely see the comparisons to Lily Allen and Regina Spektor, both of whom I like. I would really say she's somewhere in between. Good stuff.

12. HoopsMcCann

it just feels disjointed and underwhelming to me

Draft saved Draft deleted