1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best 2013 movie you've seen

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Jan 9, 2014.

1. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

i had the same feeling when i saw inside llewyn davis, and i thought anthony davis articulated the issue quite well in his new yorker review.

when the SPOILER ALERT f. murray abraham character tells llewyn davis that he's not a leading man, he's right—not just musically, but for a movie. that llewyn davis is a very good-but-not-great musician is in a way what makes the movie so distinctive, but it's also in a way what limits its scope.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I had been told going into "Llewyn Davis" that there really wasn't much of a plot. I was prepared for that. It's hard to describe, I didn't dislike the flim, but I just sort of felt like it didn't reach it's potential. I love Carey Mulligan and could watch her in anything. She strikes me as a young Cate Blanchett and the scenes with her were my favorite part of the movie.

3. Mizzougrad96

I'm pretty sure this is every 2013 movie I've seen. I'm sure I will catch a ton of shit for how much I loved Olympus Has Fallen. :D

Lone Survivor - A
    Frozen - A
    Despicable Me 2 - A
    Wolf of Wall Street - A
    Dallas Buyers Club - A
    Saving Mr. Banks - A
    American Hustle - A-
    We're the Millers - A-
    Olympus has Fallen - A-
    This is the End - A-
    Her - A-
    Enough Said - A-
    Monsters University - B+
    The World's End - B+
    August: Osage County - B
    Iron Man 3 - B
    The Family - B
    Kick Ass 2 - B
    Fast and Furious 6 - B-
    Heat - B-
    Inside Llewyn Davis - B-
    Side Effects - B-
    The Croods - B-
    Lovelace - C+
    White House Down - C+
    Bad Grandpa - C+
    Identity Thief - C+
    Turbo - C+
    Planes - C+
    Spring Breakers - C+
    Oz, the Great and Powerful - C+
    Pain and Gain - C
    Anchorman 2 - C-
    Smurfs 2 - C-
    A Good Day to Die Hard - C-
    Don Jon - C-
    Oblivion - C-
    The Lone Ranger - D
    The Internship - D
    Epic - D
    Hangover 3 - D
    Incredible Burt Wonderstone - D-
    42 - D-
    Canyons - D-

4. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Do you 1099 your babysitter?

5. Mizzougrad96

It's misleading. We take the kids to the Drive-In a lot. They watch Turbo, fall asleep and then my wife and I watch White House Down. That's why there are a lot of movies on my list that under normal circumstances I never would have seen in a million years. I also see a ton of movies from Thanksgiving through the first week in January because I always have to burn a lot of time off and my company shuts down from Christmas week through the first week in January. It helps that movies come out on DVD or on demand a lot faster than ever before.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Mizzou, have to disagree on 42. If I had to grade it, I would
    likely have to give it a "B". Think it did a good job of
    telling the story to the younger generations who would
    have known little about them.

7. Mizzougrad96

It's been a long time since I saw it, but I was bored and there were a few things that were changed in the story that really bothered me. I've read quite a bit on Jackie and when I can sit there and say, "Yeah, it didn't happen like that..." it ruins a bio pic for me. I know this is hardly the first bio pic to take creative liberties, but the ones in 42 bothered me more than most.

Draft saved Draft deleted