1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best 2013 movie you've seen

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Just saw 'Inside Llewyn Davis' last night.
    It's very good.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Inside Llewyn Davis is probably my No. 1 for now. Haven't seen everything, including Her and Lone Survivor.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I haven't seen 'Her' or 'Nebraska.'
    'Inside Llewyn Davis' is a better movie than 'American Hustle' or 'Wolf of Wall St.'
    But it's also very different from either of those. It doesn't have the big, over-the-top performances.
    Nor does it have the same kind of humor that some Coen Bros. work has. There's humor, but not like 'Oh Brother, Where Art Thou,' 'Raising Arizona' or 'The Big Lebowski' style humor.
    It's much more like 'A Serious Man,' but that one lacked any humor. 'Inside Llewyn Davis' doesn't have the Book of Job gravity that 'A Serious Man' has.
    It's really not like any other Coen Bros. movie.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Her is surprisingly good. I did not want to see it. It just sounded creepy. I became intrigued when Kristen Wiig (who has a very small part) was on Kimmel and she was basically saying how Spike Jonze just made it all work.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Saw Lone Survivor. Overall good movie but hated the Hollywood deviations from
    book. Really done for no good reason. Would have preferred that they stuck to
    book version.

6. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

7. Saw Lone Survivor. Now that I've had some time away from it, I think it was just OK. I didn't mind the gore and such because I think it gives you a sense of how brutal things are/were over there but I just felt something was missing. Not quite sure what it was. Like others have said, the end before credits rolled wrecked me. It was so emotional I think I was using that as a vehicle for judging the movie and once I separated the two I didn't think it was as good as I did at first blush. Still pretty good, though.

8. Boom_70

Had you read book prior to seeing movie?

In my case think I would have liked more had I not read the book and
    pretty much knew the full story and outcome.

9. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I read the book, too, but I haven't seen the movie yet. Figures they would deviate and disappointing. The best war movie I ever saw that close to the book was Blackhawk Down.

10. Boom_70

Agree. Will be interesting to see what your thoughts are after seeing the movie.

11. I have not read the book yet but I plan to at some point soon. Of course, given the name of the movie I knew what the outcome was going to be and, of course, the beginning of the movie shows you who is going to make it out. I felt like it would have drawn out more suspense for those of us not as familiar with the story had they named it something different and opened the movie in a different way.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Mizzougrad96, I very much approve of this thread subject.

My answer is Monsters University.

Draft saved Draft deleted