1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bert Sugar dies

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Knew him, and had some sustained professional dealings . . . like Studs Terkel, had a schtick, and loved to run it, but liked him a lot, just the same. RIP.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Hard to believe he was only 74. He seemed as if he was 74 15 years ago.

3. All true, but you've got to admit, the man could tell a story well. And as bigpern pointed it out, his schtick fit it well in the world of boxing.

RIP Bert Sugar.

4. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Frequent sports radio guest with Bob McCown in Toronto...they were very entertaining together. RIP.

5. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

It was during a December 2007 appearance when I heard Sugar utter a line I repeat quite often. Sugar was at the Mayweather/Hatton press conference, and was quite annoyed at the behaviour of the British press and the chaos they were reportedly causing.

He told McCown "I've seen better-organized gangbangs." I almost drove off the road.

I think Brunt was co-hosting that night, and the McCown/Brunt/Sugar conversations were always great to listen to.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

I am truly saddened by this loss. Many times Bert would talk to me about growing up in Richmond, Va. and he always had a minute to say hello to anyone. He was a really good guy in a truly crazy sport. He was a great source of boxing information and was pretty well versed in other sports as well. RIP and ring the bell for a legend.

7. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

Sugar was a frequent guest on KNBR 680-AM in San Francisco. A couple of months back, on in the morning with the great Gary Radnich, Sugar referred to someone (I wish I could recall who they were talking about) as making about as much sense as "Dick Clark on New Year's Eve." And I, too, almost drove off the road. I'll be listening to KNBR tomorrow, knowing they'll be talking about Sugar and hoping they play some of his best lines ... hoping also I don't drive off the road. RIP, sir.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

I think it was Meldrick Taylor he was referring to.

9. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

My only dealings with him:

It was just a couple of years ago and when he would write for MLB publications like the All-Star Game program, he would do them on his typewriter and then shove about 8 pages in an envelope and mail them in. I'd have to type them trying to avoid getting knocked out by the stale cigar smoke on them.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Just heard him a couple of weeks ago talking with Bob about the first Ali-Frazier fight.

Smallpotatoes mentioned his war with the AMA which contained the memorable quote he referenced. He also said something along the lines of "There are three boxers on Mount Rushmore. And no doctors."

The Ring magazine was never the same after he left, he did do a great job during his days after that at Boxing Illustrated.

RIP to a real fight guy....

11. Serious question: Was Bert Sugar his real name?

12. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Yes
    Yes. Bert Randolph Sugar.

RIP

Draft saved Draft deleted