1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bernie Sanders calls for wealth tax

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Sep 8, 2014.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The logical conclusion if you're looking to close the wealth gap. Taxing income will never do it.

Will the proposal gain any steam?

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Good god, what would the top .25% do without an extra few million? This is catastrophic.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Wealth is always being redistributed one way or another. Those tax breaks don't write themselves.

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

This is a great plan if you can stomach the idea of the entire country subsisting on imported food. Taxing all assets will put many farmers out of business.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Buffett is worth $66 billion. Think I saw somewhere that he's a decent philanthropist, but still ...

He could give away $10 billion and never notice. He could give away 25 billion and never notice.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

According to Mr. Sanders, taxing the top .25 percent of wealthiest Americans...

8. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Get rid of all the cheating loopholes in the tax code and you won't have to ask anyone for a higher rate.

9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I think quite a few of the 99.75 percent would find Bernie Sanders' proposal interesting.

But only after they're done watching four days of football, 35 hours a week of reality TV, and two hours of illegally obtained nude celebrity pics.

Unfortunately, the top 0.25 percent targeted by Sanders' tax is the only portion of the U.S. population that pays attention to politics.

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

In the interest of disclosure, I'll make it clear here that I work in PR for an ag advocacy organization.

That said, I'd still want to see where that line is in net worth. Admittedly, I didn't spend a lot of time digging for it, but what I did find was a University of Michigan study using 2011 data that placed a net worth of $1.147 m in the 95th percentile. What's the figure for the 99.75th percentile? How many people are we talking about?

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The top 400 families own half of America's wealth. I'm thinking he is talking about them primarily.

But setting the bar at $25 million would seem OK.

None of this will ever happen, of course.

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

You're getting your figures and your terms mixed up.

The top 400 families have a net worth of around $2 trillion. The rest of us have about that net worth, too. That doesn't mean the top 400 own half of America's wealth.

There's considerably more wealth in America than $4 trillion. Even rough estimates peg the true total wealth of the U.S. at close to $120 trillion.

Draft saved Draft deleted