1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Berkely Breathed interview

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bob Crotchet, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Bob Crotchet

Bob Crotchet Member

I miss Opus already.

http://www.salon.com/books/feature/2008/10/18/opus/index.html

A highlight (or maybe a lowlight):

"Bloom County" had five times the edge of the work I do now. In 1986 I had a cockroach scream, "Reagan sucks!" in print size that took up the entire cartoon box. Nobody blinked -- 1,000 newspapers, quiet as a mouse. Now I draw a woman wearing a Muslim scarf, and the frantic publisher of the Washington Post Co. is on the phone at 9 p.m. telling me -- I am not making this up -- to adjust my character's hair so she doesn't look too unkempt.

Fear doesn't so much rule the wood pulp news industry. More like pee-on-themselves existential terror.

I will miss the crinkly mass of pressed dead tree held aloft over my Caesar salad and iced tea at the corner cafe.

-------

(A minor point, but his memory fails him on the "Reagan sucks!" strip. Dave Barry wrote a column about how the Miami Herald didn't run that strip but wrote stories quoting it to explain why they didn't run it.)

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Opus was a puffin, not a penguin!!
    Is there a compilation of just the Opus cartoons out yet?
    I've got the Bloom County and Outland books.

3. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Oh. I thought this was about Elizabeth Berkley. [/mikey]

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Actually, I want to say he mentioned a few papers dropping the strip outright, not running that day's or at least raising an issue about it. It was one of my favorite days -- the cockney-talking cockroach doing fill-in work for one of the main characters, being told to say something subtle and witty for the punchline, then firing off REAGAN SUCKS as the payoff. Pitch perfect and flawlessly timed.

Much as I loved Bloom County and liked Outland, Opus was a classic case of beating a dead penguin. I suspect in 2013 he'll debut the web comic O.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I like turtles.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I absolutely loved "Bloom County." Hated "Outland." Saw "Opus" maybe twice.

So based on that interview, what are the odds it ends with Opus somehow climbing into "Peanuts"?

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Sorry, Opus. Snoopy has the whimsical animal character market cornered . . . forever.

8. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

My paper dropped Bloom County after the "Reagan Sucks" strip.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Final strip -- huh?

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I did. Screw you guys.

11. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Goodnight Opus

http://www.hsus.org/forms/the_opus_contest.html

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

So was Opus the strip a dream? Was everything from the first Bloom County a dream? Is that Suzanne Pleshette in the bed with him?

Draft saved Draft deleted