1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Berkeley To The Marines : Stay Out

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Feb 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Gosh, is this 2008 or 1968? All that's missing is Georgie Jessel and Martha Raye screaming, "America, love it or leave it!"

2. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

Okay, let's replay what I just said since some people apparently have shit stuffed in their ears. I didn't need to read the story because I had assumed, wrongly, that the description you see above my post here explained it all.

Instead, it turns out that Boom:

1. Started his post with a false premise that human rights and freedom were being denied because the city council asked the Marines to get out of town. In reality, there was much more to the story and freedom of speech concerns on the opposite side of the issue. But, Boom, as he so often does, glazed over the facts to fit his warped view of things.

2. The council didn't say it didn't want Marines in the city. It said it didn't want the Marine recruiters in the city. It's a specific group. Again, Boom misrepresented the facts to push his own agenda.

3. Boom then goes on to use some trumped-up language: Defenders of Freedom. Let's just call them what they are and not boost them to sainthood. You could also call them assassins in some respects and, frankly, murders in a few isolated cases. But Boom couldn't just call them Marines and couldn't articulate his opinion without throwing out hyperbole and drama that completely masks reality.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Well, this is moving along quite nicely but I don't think it will end well. .

4. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

I guess that "Mission Accomplished" photo was all too apropos then...

5. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I'm ok with a city denying recruitment.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The story is not over and in fact gaining critical mass. It will be over when the City of Berkeley issues an apoligy.

http://www.mercurynews.com/breakingnews/ci_8378815?nclick_check=1

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Boom, the link doesn't work and there's nothing on the Mercury News website that I can see about the story.

And I can't find a thing on the SF Chronicle website.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

works for me

Here is a partial :

Berkeley businesses feel pinch of weekly anti-war protests
    By Kristin Bender and Doug Oakley
    Bay Area News Group
    Article Launched: 02/27/2008 08:07:17 AM PST

BERKELEY - People who are angry at city leaders for their anti-military stance are taking it out on businesses - canceling hotel rooms, restaurant reservations and theater tickets.
    They are writing letters to the Berkeley Chamber of Commerce outlining their plans to boycott the city.

And they are steering clear of downtown shops because of the weekly anti-war protests that in recent weeks have become increasingly volatile.

Two weeks after the Berkeley City Council refused to apologize to the U.S. Marine Corps for calling them "uninvited and unwelcome intruders," Berkeley businesses are feeling the backlash from people who don't want to spend their money in the city.

"We're hearing of folks canceling reservations and canceling hotel rooms and we know there is a direct correlation. How big, I don't know. We're in a tough economic period anyway," said Ted Garrett, chief executive officer of the Berkeley Chamber of Commerce.

Garrett said the chamber has received an estimated 300 e-mails, letters and faxes from people upset about the council's action and its refusal to apologize. "Folks are upset," he said. "Unfortunately, they are blaming the businesses."

Mo Hallaji, owner of Pollo's at Shattuck Avenue and Addison Street, said his business has declined 10 to 15 percent this month because of the traffic jams and fighting associated with the protests.

"They are killing our business," Hallaji said. "Everybody is against the war but that is
    not the right way to go about it if you want to accomplish something."

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

That's all well and good Boom but I'd hardly call that "gaining critical mass".

You need to turn down your hyperbolemeter a notch.

10. [​IMG]

This is one of the protesters in Berkerely.

I'm guessing it's like looking in a mirror for some of the posters on this board.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

So if Berkeley decided to ask, say, a minority-owned business that was paying its bills and obeying the law -- just because they didn't like "their kind" being around -- that'd be OK with you?
    I don't think you're applying the First Amendment correctly.
    It says government shall pass no law abridging the exercise of free speech. I'd say a marine recruiting office is exercising its free speech rights, not the government trying to kick them out.

12. [​IMG]

Here's another one of the protesters.

And it's the Marines that the City Council finds repugnant?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.