1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Berkeley To The Marines : Stay Out

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Feb 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Not all, but there is always projects on the table and next time around when Berkeley steps up to the trough perhaps congress won't be so generous

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Back in the 80s the feds threatened to cut highway funding in any state that didn't raise its drinking age to 21. They can also cut federal funds to universities for various and assorted reasons. Cutting funds to one city the size of Berkeley would certainly be possible.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

There are already other cities in California that are cutting out official travel to
    Berkeley .

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Don't approve of what the City Council did. It's liberal foofdom.

That said . . . if you find yourself on the side of Jim DeMint on most issues, you
    probably need a sustained introspective timeout.

5. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

They don't want recruiters there.

While I do not agree and feel that it should be in violation of something or other, I don't see what the big deal is. How is it different than not wanting strip clubs in town? How is it different than not allowing bars in town?

I don't like when towns prohibit those businesses but that seems to be legal. So, why the big deal with the business of recruitment?

6. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

A three-week old story that was resolved a few nights later.

In a 7-to-2 vote, the council said it would no longer send a letter to the local Marine Corps Recruiting Station and Marine Corps Commandant Gen. James Conway saying recruiters aren't welcome in Berkeley.

Instead, the city is now simply stating it's opposed to the war and the billions spent on it. However, "we recognize the recruiter's right to locate in our city and the right of others to protest or support their presence," the council said.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/02/13/berkeley.marines/

7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Imagine, Berkeley oppposing a government entity. :shock:

And, one of Boom's clumsier attempts at raising hackles.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Is the city going to continue to provide free downtown parking to the protesters like they were before?

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

This is 1968 all over again. They're even recycling the slogans:

"Join the Marines. Travel to Exotic Lands. Meet Exciting and Unusual People -- And Kill Them."

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

You're equating the Marines with strip clubs and bars?

11. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

::)
    Yes. That is exactly what I wrote. The marines, as in the boots on the ground in Iraq, Afghanistan and countless other locations, are the same as strip clubs and bars.

I did not write recruiters at all. I did not imply the business of recruitment at all. I meant the soldiers themselves.

12. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Right but those are block grants to the individual states, which is how local programs that use federal money are usually organized, with the state then allocating the money to local entities. I've heard of plenty of those programs which placed contingencies on a state's entitlement to federal money. But I can't say I've ever heard of the feds trying to cut off just one town.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.