1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Benmaller.com: LA Times to drop hockey road coverage for Ducks and Kings

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, Jul 17, 2006.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

In addition, HOFer Helene Elliot's column to be dropped.

http://www.benmaller.com/

The Los Angeles Times has slashed its National Hockey League coverage, according to a BenMaller.com print loving mole.

Southern California's largest newspaper will no longer send beat reporters on the road for most of the Kings and Ducks trips.

In addition, the NHL column, written by Hockey Hall of Famer Helene Elliott, has been whacked.

Developing...

2. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

That's too bad, but in SoCal, hockey is a distant 10th or so in sports people care about. It's a niche sport.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

The average attendance for the Ducks this season was 15,000. For the Kings it was 17,800. That's a big-ass niche.

Just another reason for people to stop reading the newspaper. If this is really happening, it's very foolish.

4. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

AMEN, PC.

This is troubling, to say the least.

Helene Elliott's column was a must-read every week. And why would the Times cede coverage to the Daily News and Company on hockey?

That'll make for some lonely road trips and one less reason for me to pick up what once was an awesome section.

5. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

I did say it was too bad, but if you're Randy Harvey and you've been told to a) cut back on space on things in your section after it's already been gutted and b) cut back on your travel budget after it's already been cut, where do you go? Hockey. It's unfortunate. It's sad. But, again, if you're told to make major cuts and everything else is gone, the first "major" sport you go to is hockey. Blame it on Tribune. As I posted last week, I guess a company-wide $87 million profit for one quarter isn't enough.

6. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

I didn't watch a single hockey game this past season.

OTOH, I never missed reading Helene's columns since I moved to L.A. in '94.

Next thing you know, they're gonna start paying their sportswriters 25 cents per columnar inch and columnists a nickel per adverb.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

And copy editors would demand a penny kickback not to edit out an adverb.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

The cutbacks have been confirmed:

http://www.laobserved.com/archive/2006/07/times_cuts_back_on_hockey.html

L.A. Times beat writers will no longer routinely cover road trips of the Kings and Ducks, Sports Editor Randy Harvey tells LA Observed. Hockey columnist Helene Elliott will become a general columnist and drop her weekly report on the National Hockey League. "In that role, however, I'm sure she will still often write about hockey," Harvey emails. Pucks have always been less popular than balls within the Times staff, but this marks a pretty sharp swerve in the road. Beat writers might still go along when news of a feature angle warrants, but this makes the Times more like the smaller papers around town. Fox Sports' Ben Maller first reported the change on his blog, and it's apparently drawing howls on the Canadian sports talk circuit. At the fan board LetsGoKings.com, one commenter quipped "The LA Times covered hockey?" but another figured it out: "It's simple. The Kings need to win. LA is always behind a winner. The LAT will cover the Kings if they win and win a lot, and make it deep in the playoffs (not going to happen)."

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Just heard Helene Elliott on the FAN (Hi, Elliotte!).

This isn't just a hockey problem, this is also a newspaper problem. The paper has also dropped their tennis coverage.

The Dallas (sorry, forget the name) has just dropped their golf columnist.

The Detroit FP didn't send a beat writer to the Stanley Cup Finals, for heaven's sakes.

This is way beyond, "No one gives a shit about hockey"

10. leo1

leo1 Active Member

sorry, PC, but this argument is bunk.

hockey does well here in south florida, too, measured by attendance at the arena. in a metro area the size of socal (or a smaller one like here in south florida), there are more than enough people to fill the arena. but the diehards go to the game and that's it. it's not like football or baseball where millions don't go to games but still care.

in two years of living in south florida i have never once met anyone who professes to care about the panthers. i've never overheard a conversation about hockey. i've never heard an interview with a panthers player on sports radio. i've never heard a sports talk radio host discuss hockey other than to give the score of the panthers games. i've never seen anyone wearing a panthers jersey. admittedly, these are unscientific ways to gauge fan interest but TV ratings bear this out. i'm guessing in an area like southern california, it's similar to the situation here.

11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

That's fairly telling too, especially considering that fat bald headed fuck Karmanos has his company's world headquarters in the middle of downtown Detroit too.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Leo,
    You may be right but as I pointed out (and JW did on his rogue thread) this is not an isolated hockey problem. It's also a newspaper problem.

Draft saved Draft deleted