1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Benazir Bhutto assassinated...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rosie, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

I wouldn't be surprised if someone within the Pakistani Army offs Musharraf with the promise of giving the people fair and honest elections only to hold onto power and become another Musharraf.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Not entirely true. She had formed an alliance with former political enemy Nawaz Sharif (who was deposed in Musharraf's coup), so the PPP may support whoever is nominated by Sharif's wing of the centrist Pakistan Muslim League (in geek terms, the PML's code has forked several times since the project was initiated :D ). May have been a political marriage of convenience, given Sharif's habit of playing fast and loose with ... well, everything. Sharif himself is banned from running for office due to his past criminal convictions (who knoew trying to kick Musharraf out of the country was a crime?).

A rally by Sharif's party was attacked today as well. Three dead, 17 wounded. http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5hmMvad3rbqxYCQzGILosXgWc8VSA

Interesting that the English-language home page for Al Jazeera is the hardest site to get to on the WWW right now.

3. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Joe Rossi,

When Indira Gandhi was assassinated, TIME magazine printed a quote on the cover. She'd said something about what would happen if she died that day, something about "every drop of her blood would invigorate the nation."

She was murdered within hours.

My dad had a subscription to the magazine. I'll never forget that cover.

4. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Man, I saw this and I did a fucking doubletake.

"Bhutto" was an answer on jeopardy last night, and I planned on wikipediaing her today to find out more about her. Holy shitit.

And doesn't this sucK

"Benazir Bhutto's father, former Prime Minister Zulfikar Ali Bhutto, was dismissed as Prime Minister in 1975, on charges similar to those Benazir Bhutto would later face. Later, in a 1977 trial on charges of conspiracy to murder the father of dissident politician Ahmed Raza Kasuri, Zulfikar Ali Bhutto was sentenced to death.

Despite the accusation being "widely doubted by the public",[8] and despite many clemency appeals from foreign leaders, Zulfikar Ali Bhutto was hanged on 4 April 1979. Appeals for clemency were dismissed by acting President General Muhammad Zia-ul-Haq. Benazir Bhutto and her mother were held in a "police camp" until the end of May, after the execution.[9]

In 1980, Benazir Bhutto's brother Shahnawaz was killed under suspicious circumstances, in France. The killing of another of her brothers, Mir Murtaza, in 1996, contributed to destabilizing her second term as Prime Minister."

What a messed up way to die for her whole family...

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Jeebus.

Just awful.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Yes, when the oil runs out and we stop giving a rats ass.

The line in Syriana comes to mind about swords, heads and a 100 years.

I know it is cold, but this part of the world cannot be comprehended by us. Our societies are totally different, and I am not saying that either one is correct.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

This thing clearly has Perv's fingerprints all over it. But what are we going to do about it? As long as Bush and Cheney are in office ... absolutely nothing.

Perv has been a staunch ally of the Bush-Cheney administration against terror and the Bushies like dealing with devils they know. (Well, those besides Saddam, obviously.) All Perv has to do now, unfortunately, is cap ol' Sharif and he's free to play soldier again for the rest of his life.

I have no earthly idea what Bhutto was thinking when she decided to go back. Unless she went fully knowing it would be a one-way trip.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

With her family history, I'm sure she knew it might very well be a one-way trip.

9. Chef

Chef Active Member

How long until the full video comes out of her getting shot?

FOX already has it "Moments before assasination" and "Moments after assasination" on some of their vids.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Is it as chilling as the Sadat assassination video?

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

CNN has on a Getty photog who was shooting as the assination happened. He's got some shots of the blast from the killer blowing himself up, but apparently none of the assination itself.

12. And, of course, the geniuses in the sub-basement of the OVP had a hand in the grand design that now got her killed.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/15/AR2007061502073.html?hpid=opinionsbox1

Purged the experts on Pakistan? Bring in your own people?
    Wunderbar.

Draft saved Draft deleted