1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ben Affleck vs. Bill Maher and Sam Harris - arguing about Islam

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Oct 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Ben Affleck has been getting a lot of support for this nonsense, which I really don't get.

Harris' opening point:

Affleck responds by calling it "gross" and "racist," and compares it to calling someone a "shifty Jew," without any significant logical backing (in my opinion, of course).

I thought Affleck lost the argument thoroughly, but I looked on Twitter the other day and the support for Affleck was overwhelming.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That's because Twitter is stupid.

3. SnarkShark

This is completely beside the point. A lot of the stuff on Twitter was linked to articles.

4. LongTimeListener

That's because the echo chamber feeds on its own stupidity.

Who really gives a flying fuck what Ben Affleck says about Islam? And why?

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

The Force is strong with this one.

6. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

This is the default response for liberals when they realize people may actually find out they think like this.

When someone from across the aisle says something outrageous, IT MUST BE MADE LIGHT OF!!!! But when Affleck spouts leftist nonsense that plenty of liberals believe and support wholeheartedly (you'll notice LTL never actually addressed whether he agrees with Affleck), then all of a sudden it doesn't matter.

There are two significant threats in the world today: radical Islam and political correctness.

7. SnarkShark

Because Ben Affleck's comments and the support he's getting in a lot of spheres (not only on social media), speak to public perception and belief on this issue. His belief is a commonly-held belief.

8. LongTimeListener

I don't know what your post even means. I also don't know which troll you used to be before this sock puppet came about, so if you could fill me in on that, I'd know better how to address your trolling.

And I don't know what Ben Affleck said. And I don't care. And I don't foresee a time when I will care at all what some uninvolved voice (from Hollywood or sports or whatever) thinks about a complex global issue. The political tint of the comment makes no difference on that score.

9. SnarkShark

Great. It's all settled, then. Shut down the thread, because LTL has determined from on high Twitter is dumb and Ben Affleck doesn't know about what he's talking about, without even watching the video or reading what he said.

And you're calling someone else a troll?

10. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

You know exactly what it means, but if you want to go full oop and argue something you know to be full of shit simply because you don't want to lose an argument (which you already have), then go right ahead. Should be enjoyable.

11. LongTimeListener

Very well. Carry on this thread. I am sure Ben Affleck's geopolitical outlook will set the stage for rigorous and rewarding debate.

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Honestly ... LTLs most salient question remains unanswered ... Why would ANYONE give a flip about what Ben Affleck thinks about something, you know, substantive?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.