1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ben Affleck Is Batman for Man of Steel Sequel (dir. Zack Snyder)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Deeper_Background, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, you just reminded me.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Here's a compilation of reactions from when Heath Ledger was cast as The Joker:

http://geektyrant.com/news/2012/5/22/the-internets-reaction-to-heath-ledger-being-cast-as-the-jok.html

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

There are decades of source material to draw from with many of these characters. It's not a lack of material that often troubles these movies. It is too much material. The challenge is figuring out which ones adapt well and avoid shoving too many stories and characters into one movie. That last bit was what ruined Spider-Man 3 and X-Men: The Last Stand. They tried to do too much.

Take the X-Men franchise, for example, which is now six movies in, with Days of Future Past in production. They really have two origin stories, X-Men and X-Men: First Class, both of which did a good job pulling character beats from the comics and mixing them into an original story. X-Men 2 worked because it was based on a strong story from the comics, God Loves, Man Kills.

The difference in the two Wolverine movies? The Wolverine narrowed the focus and used better source material, specifically the characters time in Japan.

That, more than anything, is why I'm looking forward to Day of Future Past, which draws on a well-loved story from the comics. It's also a surprisingly short story in the comics, so it's possible to get it done without the story feeling cramped.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

This is a great lede graph:

http://www.avclub.com/articles/ben-affleck-is-the-batman-you-deserve-right-now-ap,101999/

5. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

It's interesting to look at this from Affleck's angle too. He's come back from a career that was headed toward oblivion and became one of the most respected directors working, along with his acting in those movies. Now he goes back to a comic book role. It feels like if Clooney had decided to return to superheroes after Good Night and Good Luck and Syriana.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I guess this means things have come full circle for Affleck...

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

FACK you, Supahman!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Batfleck just made me laugh out loud...

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

10. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

11. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

So, obviously, Matt Damon is Robin, right?

12. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I'm expecting this to turn into Affleck directing the Justice League movie when it's announced. Maybe they have the deal signed for Supes vs. Bats and are still working out details of what comes after that. Could be interesting.

Draft saved Draft deleted