1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beloved teams that fell short

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

For me personally:
    2003 Red Sox
    2010 Celtics
    2004 Maine men's hockey team

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

1991-93 Michigan basketball team

1973 Mets

The Brooklyn Dodgers from 1941-1954.

3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Substitute the word "best" in the thread title, and this might contend for No. 1.

But "beloved"? Umm, not so much.

4. Colton

Colton Active Member

Same goes for the '95 Indians.

5. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

1993 Knicks. If Charles Smith dunks the ball in game 5 instead of the blocked layups they could have had that series.
    OK, they weren't beloved by...well, anyone but Knicks fans. But they had a lot of heart, something the current Knicks know nothing of.

6. 2012-13 Pittsburgh Penguins

1994 Penn State Nittany Lions .. though they did everything they could to win ...

1992 Pittsburgh Pirates.
    Fuck.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Most convincing beatdown I've ever witnessed was the '91 Texas-Miami Cotton Bowl. I've never seen a team that was so utterly humiliated by an opponent as the Longhorns that day.

Nebraska kicked Florida's ass but Miami took away UT's manhood that day.

8. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

1990 ... LMU ... Hank Gathers ... Bo Kimble.

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Beloved by me: 1996-97 Kansas basketball. I didn't think that team would even really be challenged before the Final Four.

Beloved by (some) people outside the fanbase: 2010 Boise State football. If you wanted to see a non-automatic qualifier break through to the BCS title game this was the best shot, at least until the world at large got its first taste of how good Colin Kaepernick was.

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I thought about the 1973 Mets. Did you realize that on July 31 that year they were 13 games under .500 and in last place in the NL East? Will probably forever be the worst record to make a World Series (82-79).

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I would put The Braves teams of the 90's in the category. They were essentially America's
    team. Appearing on national tv through TBS. A lot of NL pennants (5) but
    only 1 WS title to show for it.

12. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Over time, I think 2010 Butler will be high on this list. 2006 George Washington also will be high, because that was the first mid-major to come out of nowhere to get to the Final Four.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.