1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beloved teams that fell short

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Aug 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Even with the Miami loss I still think the 83 Husker team is the best in my lifetime. That was just a ridiculously talented team.

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

1975 Indiana Basketball

1979 Indiana State Basketball

1991 UNLV Running Rebels

The oh so very close to perfect undefeated season teams. Bonus points to ISU for doing it at a little mid major MVC school in frickin Terre Haute.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

1995 Nebraska was better. Won every game by at least two touchdowns and beat four 10-win teams (Colorado, Kansas State, Kansas and Florida) by an average score of 49-18. That Florida team they humiliated in the Fiesta Bowl was probably the best one Spurrier ever had.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Some of the recent Boise State football teams.

5. BrendaStarr

BrendaStarr Member

2004-05 Fighting Illini men's basketball

Would have been nice to see what would have happened if the refs didn't call a foul on James Augustine every two seconds in the title game.

6. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

2007 New England Patriots :)

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

1996 and 2012 Broncos.

And I'll take that 1983 Huskers team over 1995 as well. That team was amazing.

8. sportsnut2002

sportsnut2002 Member

For me, the 1982 or 1992 Milwaukee Brewers:
    82 since they got to the World Series and came so close to winning it
    92 since that was the last hurrah of the Yount-Molitor-Gantner trio, and had the Brewers got past Toronto to win the AL East, I think they would've won the World Series.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Thought Nebraska '83 was better. Watched them destroy PSU in opening game at
    what was the first Kickoff Classic.

You have to give Osborn credit for going for 2 in Orange Bowl. Extra point for a tie would
    have got them the National Championship. Many forget that Rozier got hurt in that game
    and Neb really missed him in the fourth qtr.

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I have never seen a more convincing beatdown than that Fiesta Bowl. I still remember the sequence where they nearly got a safety, then just buried Wuerffel on the next play to get it anyway.

11. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

The Kings shouldn't have got past the Western Conference Final that year in the first place. And were they beloved? Outside of L.A., I mean?

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Very few of these teams were beloved beyond their own fan base.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.