1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bellotti bails on UO

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Mar 19, 2010.

1. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

UO owes Knight? To me, it was Knight running the entire athletic department as a de facto AD.

Call me crazy, but I don't think Bellotti felt comfortable being an AD. This was a one-year experiment that may have told him "I don't like doing this, especially whacking Ernie. I'm getting out."

2. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Gimme a break.

3. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Does anyone think Bellotti, who is one hell of a guy, has egg on his face from all these football players being jackasses? Yes, Chip, who is also a great guy, is coach now, but these are all Bellotti guys.
    Do you think the powers that be at UO questioned his decision making over these recruits/players and he just said fuck it I'm outa here?

4. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

I don't know if this is right, but this was Masoli's first year at Oregon, no? Wouldn't that mean Kelley recruited him.

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

How could it have been if Masoli has a redshirt left? Wouldn't he have lost that year if he transferred?

6. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

Didn't he come from juco?

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

This was Masoli's second year at the school. He transferred after one year at the SF Community College.
    Losing Bellotti will be big. I think he generated a lot of good will among the media, not just because he won, but he was seen as a decent guy. The school just doesn't have anyone who has a good long standing relationship with local press anymore. Their SID is well-regarded, but he's not able to make negative stories go away or never see the light of day.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Bellotti got a $2.3-million golden parachute; $600 K up front, payable on May 1, and $25K a month for the next SIX YEARS or so.

This is essentially his payback for being kicked upstairs one, or several, years before he wanted to, and working for a lower salary than he would have made as a football coach.

He's not cut out to be an AD. One year with ESPN, then off to Colorado or Arizona State or whatever other plum job opens.

Masoli played at Serra High as a junior, got arrested for armed robbery, transferred to St. Louis park High in Hawaii and then played a season at CCSF before coming to UO for the 2008 season. The suspension is essentially a redshirt.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Considering they named the field after Rich Brooks, a $2.3 mil retirement doesn't seem that generous on Oregon's part. Figure he might make $200k at ESPN if that.
    The other thing about this deal is I wouldn't be surprised if Chip Kelly heads back east after a couple of years. He was getting killed after the Boise game, had a nice run to the Rose Bowl, now he's back to getting killed. He's a control freak, I think he'd prefer a situation where he was THE guy and actually got to choose the uniforms his team wears.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Why get a golden parachute at all? He retired of his own accord.

It's a payoff for being kicked upstairs before he wanted to, and when he's at ASU in 2011 Oregon will be paying him $300 K a year to coach against them..

11. bc has kelly's name all over it when spaziani leaves.

12. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

I agree clueless. And the kid he wanted deep down to bring to UO as his offensive coordinator - Ryan Day - is a receiver's coach at Boston College already. Kelly comes back East and bumps his boy Day up to offensive coordinator.

Draft saved Draft deleted