1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Believing

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by boots, Mar 29, 2007.

1. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I told someone I was atheist during a story because the topic came up. From the look I got, I am convinced they think atheists eat live chickens. It's been my experience that many folks find religion when time starts to run out. My thing is that it certainly can't hurt anyone for someone to believe in a higher power. I'm just struggling with the logic of it all.

2. chester

chester Member

I believe strongly in God. I am also a Christian, although I don't have one specific denomination (grew up Baptist, now attend mass with my Catholic wife - nothing like going from one extreme to the other :)). To me, it the classifications such as Christian or Jew or Muslim or Catholic or Protestant which can be the biggest hinderance to religion not just here, but world-wide. We label people and then assume all of one sect to be alike. An example - my recently-deceased grandmother, God rest her soul, was as devout a Baptist as I ever met. But she just had something that she didn't care much for the Catholic faith. Did it make her a bad person? No. But it does go against what you would expect a "good Christian" to believe. That's why I try to live my religion like it's an all-you-can-eat buffet line - I can take a little that I like from my Baptist background, throw on some of the things I picked up from attending Catholic mass, and then - here's where some people don't get it - use my own judgment and beliefs to form "my own faith".

3. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

There is nothing more interesting than people declaring beliefs as truths.

Anyone that declares anything that cannot be proven as "the truth" should be shunned and laughed at. For this is the reason that people fly planes into buildings and go off to murder others.

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Numerous posts now have included a phrase along the lines of, "the best answer I can come up with ..." I know this is pretty dark, but I'm convinced there are no answers. And, I'm not sure I understand why answers are required. We may not have even figured out the right questions yet.

5. I see your point, but you're taking this too far. There's a difference between someone simply knowing something, even if it can't be proven, and someone else using what they "just know" as a justification to murder.
    I see absolutely nothing in any teaching of Jesus that should lead and sane person to kill another. We can argue about some of the Old Testament (smashing babies heads on rocks, death to witches, etc.), but Jesus' "love thy neighbor" leaves no room for murder.
    I know some will jump to our president as an example, and I agree. He is not, as was earlier stated, "a right Christian," in my view.

6. boots

boots New Member

Thank you Rosie. I believe and love the Lord with all of my heart. I do accept Jesus Christ as my savior.
    A lot of this reminds of a song by Patrice Rushen called "To each his own."
    It goes something like this:
    "A person came to my front door just yesterday.
    Wanting to know if I believed in what they say.
    I can not say if your ideas are right or wrong.
    You have yours, I have mine, to each his own."

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That is why they call it faith, Ace. It isn't exactly difficult to punch logical holes in the Bible. That doesn't mean there is nothing of merit in it.

We were all playing so nicely together...I knew it couldn't last..

8. outofplace

Boots, I'm just not sure how that fits with your post to start this thread. If I read it right, you were disturbed by what your friend told you. I'm not trying to be argumentative here. Just trying to understand the point of your original post.

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Friend, why do you hate Amerikkka? [/boots]

10. boots

boots New Member

Yes, I'm bothered by what they said. Yes it does change my opinion of them. But I also have to remember that Jesus had 12 disciple. Eleven went with him. One went against him. If Jesus can't get everyone together, who am I to expect anything less?

11. boots

boots New Member

I don't hate Amerikkka. I don't like a lot of stuff that goes on here, but this is my country.

12. outofplace

To each his own, but if you don't believe what I believe, I will think less of you?

Draft saved Draft deleted