1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Believe Me, It's Torture

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PeteyPirate, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Tony and others who are OK with torture, two questions:
    1). Do you think the enemy views an unwillingness to torture as a sign of weakness?
    2). Reagrdless of how effective it may be in extracting information, do approve of torture just because it makes you feel better to know that the bad guys are suffering and is that alone a reason to torture?

2. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Oh and I agree. We're better than they are. Name one person we've beheaded in the name of Jesus. Case closed.

3. ScribePharisee

1. Yes, absolutely.
    2. We're not doing it for "feelings" we're doing it to deal with a cockroach. I don't have any feelings for cockroaches when I spray them. And cockroaches aren't out to kill me, just annoy me. These people want me dead in the name of Allah.

4. Smallpotatoes

http://www.johntreed.com/torture.html

The Germans and Japanese wanted to kill us, too. We didn't torture them and we won that war.

5. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Regardless of it's moral quandaries, torture hasn't exactly proven itself to be effective.

6. ScribePharisee

Are we equating Hitler and Hirohito with Allah? Half of Hitler's own men were after him. Hitler also bit off more than he could chew with two fronts - Russia and England/the U.S.

7. Smallpotatoes

Just tell me, as you see it, how does it benefit us to torture?

8. ScribePharisee

Police use it, and we're the world's cops, like it or not.

Personally, they should have been battlefield casualties. Given the chance, they would have killed us. Thanking our lucky stars we got them apprehended before they killed us is not enough.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Wow. Just wow.

You failed civics class, evidently.

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

The fact that you can't see it is right up there. You go on and believe that the world will always kowtow to what we want. I'm pretty sure the powers that be thought the same thing back when the sun never set on the British Empire, or when the Soviet Union was one of the world's two superpowers. Things change.

We might matter. But we'll matter in the same sense that Grandpa matters after he starts to go round the bend a bit and you can't leave him alone for fear he'll try to use the toaster and wind up setting the house on fire.

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

If mine truly was the most clueless post in the history of this site, I sure didn't hold the title for long.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Hitchens remains most-valuable in today's modern public discourse for his willingness to
    logically deviate from strictly-doctronaire lines of thought.

Too many simply parrot one-sided platitudes.

His willingness to consider cases on their individual merits is most-refreshing, in the current climate.

Draft saved Draft deleted