1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Believe it or not, this isn't about Chef: A man is pregnant

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Let us know when the Chef jokes get old.

2. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Hmmm ... A, B or C, depending on how I'm feeling that day.

Maybe it's just me, but I think the inside jokes/digs/etc. are (a small) part of what makes this place great.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Of course, you've made it abundantly clear over the last few weeks you think Mike and the jokes are stupid, so there is indeed a huge-ass bias there.

I find the mikey jokes funny because he gets it. No, not IT (whoops, another joke), but he gets that this place is a reflection of the office/press box, and that having an ability to laugh at oneself and absorb repeated good-hearted ribbing allows one to make far more friends than those who take every slight to heart. No names there of course. :)

and you sure didn't seem to mind when the eight-second jokes were commonplace.

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Dammit, someone told me this was a true/false quiz.

Back on topic, I'm guessing the birds and the bees talk with this kid down the road is a little more complicated and involved than your normal version:

Well, you see, son, when a man and a woman.......except in our case.....

5. The eight-second jokes were commonplace?

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Oh bullshit. You and I talked all the time on PM and IM about how much we both hated everyone doing it because only like three people did it well by bringing something new to it.

Hell, I think we had that conversation last week.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Thank you.

I see what Trey and BYH are saying, and their comments should be taken into consideration. We've certainly overdone the eight-second jokes. But too many threads have devolved into the Mikey joke.

I'd like to think that all of you know I have ZERO issue with any of the parties involved with the joke, and I'm quite certain the same applies to IJAG.

I'm all for a good joke ... I mean without all of you I don't get through the last few months. There are a lot of funny, funny posts here. But making as many threads about a certain issue as we have is overkill - proof that even we can run a joke into the ground.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Thank you. I was going to ask that, but certain people tend to implode on occasion if I respond to their posts. No names of course. :)

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

So? YOU didn't mind being at the head of the eight-second brigade back in the day.

What's the difference between joking about Mikey and joking about that?

and Mikey hasn't been around long enough for people who WEREN'T around for the birth of the joke to start glomming on it. So that's a red herring.

10. imjustagirl

Even we? Hell, all we do is run jokes into the ground.

Look, I'm as guilty as anyone. I guess my point is this: The Monday jokes were overdone at the time. Now, ti's a nice flashback every now and again. The eight-second jokes were almost all unfunny, including all made by me. In passing now, they're a nice flashback.

I just think it's become passe to make the mikey joke, too easy as it were, and it would be better served as an occasional joke as opposed to 14 times on every thread.

Randomly, and sparsely used, on threads actually having to do with the topic? I think it could be killer. But the point gets lost when it's overdone.

THAT'S what I'm saying. Sorry if it came across as anything else. Trust me, I'm as useless a poster as there is here. I don't mean to put anyone else down on the basis of their entire body of work...I just think we're better than the cheap, overdone joke.

11. imjustagirl

Um, I made fewer 8-second jokes in the entire five years I've been on this board than most who made them.

And nowhere in my post did I reference people glomming onto the joke. I have no idea why you're mixing up posts, but that wasn't me.

EDIT becuase there's no way I can count how many times I made eight-second jokes. But the ones that were made, for the majority, were made on IM between you and I. Not here on the board.

12. Isn't that what we do best, run jokes into the ground?

Mikey's lack of activity, BYH's quick activity, Brad Renfro, lolcats, Brook Jacoby and Who beat? come to mind just off the top of my head.

Doesn't bother me, but then again, not much does when I'm not at work.

Draft saved Draft deleted