1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Belated Happy Birthday, Jim Bouton

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smasher_Sloan, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I read the sequel 15, 16 years ago. I should probably read it again, but my memory of it was that it was an OK book, but not as good as Ball Four. And Bouton ended up getting stressed out from all the fuss over the first book and pitched poorly.

2. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

Me too.

3. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

I should have noted that I met him in Calgary after a pitching exhibition against the local AAA Cannons in 1978 and he autographed both books. On the inside cover of "Ball Four" he wrote "Smoke 'em inside, Craig"....a treasured momento I can assure you.

We talked for about 5 minutes until interrupted by a local sports anchor and he seems like a genuinely nice man. He said that he had lived a storybook life and wouldn't change a thing. He shook my hand and it was a real firm grip with a couple of pumps and he hung on a while almost like he was pleased to meet ME!!

I've read BF over 100 times, I'm sure.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

One of the great nights of my career was when he pitched in an exhibition here against Atlanta during that same 1978 comeback. Turner wanted him in the system, the baseball people were incensed. He hung around Richmond for a while and they decided to have him pitch against the A-Braves when they came to town. The thinking was he'd get lit and they could get rid of him.
    So of course he shoved it up their asses and the reactions were priceless. One of the fringe Braves had been in Richmond in previous years and I knew him a bit. He told me, "Man, I'd love to talk but they warned us not to say anything good about him."
    He went to AA, did fairly well, was in Atlanta at the end of the season. Won a couple games, too, if I recall correctly.

He ended up doing a magazine article (SI) on the whole summer. Said he'd promised when he signed he wouldn't write a book "but I never said anything about a magazine article."

You are right, bc, he seemed like a genuinely good guy. Wanted to converse rather than just be interviewed.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

OK, I got off my lazy ass. Won one game in 1978. Lost three. Beat the Giants. Sparky Anderson got pissed the Braves were using him against teams in contention, then the Reds pulled out a 2-1 victory against Bouton/Atlanta. Sparky, if memory serves, was pretty gracious after that. Something along the lines of, "I guess I oughta just STFU."

6. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I own both books. "Ball Four" is still my favorite. The other one was kind of a letdown because "Ball Four" was so good. I guess my expectations were inflated.
    "Ball Four" certainly helped me understand what was really going on when I became a baseball beat writer.
    Can you even imagine what kind of book Steve Yeager could write?

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

The Giants were outraged after he beat them, calling him a joke. I think Madlock was one of the leaders of that (no surprise there). Bouton said that he changed the game: Instead of looking at the scoreboard to see who won, you instead judged it based on the losing team's evaluation of the pitcher.

Don't know how available it is these days, but grab "Home Games" by Bobbie Bouton and Nancy Marshall if you're a "Ball Four" fan. The book is by the exes of Bouton and Mike Marshall and fills in some of the blanks.

BTW, I also had had a positive interview experience with Bouton. On the other hand, Marshall was an arrogant ass on more than one occasion.

I was all primed to do the wackiest feature ever on Doug Rader because of "Ball Four." I quickly discovered that Rader was angling for a future in coaching and managing and was working hard to bury all of the old stories. So he wouldn't discuss any of that. I'd collected a lot of stuff from Norm Miller, which prompted Rader to go off on him, saying, "He wants to be associated with crazy shit, but he doesn't have the balls to do any of it himself." Disappointing.

8. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I read it a few years ago, and it was OK -- some definite humor in there. Including some bit about Bouton (in the NY Times best seller list) having "The Sensuous Woman" on top of him.

But yeah, from what I recall, the hoopla and pressure from having "Ball Four" out helped Bouton have a really lousy 1970 season.

9. HorseWhipped

HorseWhipped Guest

I've read all of Bouton's books, multiple times, and loved the stories. Loved his own story, too. But, in retrospect, he never mentioned that he was "the horniest [bleep] in baseball," according to Joe Pepitone after "Ball Four" rocked the boat. Bulldog apparently screwed around on the road as much as anyone.

And Bouton's mission to reclaim his personal glory at any and every stop came before everything in his life for years and years, which must have taken a big toll on his family before and after the divorce. Bouton was so obsessed for so long, and that strikes me as very selfish.

Despite what I say here, I'm a huge Bouton fan. I just wonder if it was worth it.
    Sometimes it's hard to give up the ghost, and especially after early stardom.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Literature costs. Bouton gave us about the best book on baseball ever. If it cost him personally, so what? The world's better off with Ball Four than without it.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Bouton was one of the promoters of Big League Chew, and usually has had some enterprise or another going.

12. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Never read "seriously" because I heard it was a let down. Though, I have an original version of Ball Four softcover and the 20th anniversary update, which tells the stories of what happened to the team. Gary Bell was running a place that served Italian and Chinese food, Hovley was a janitor at his kid's school, Womack was a frequent poster on a sports journalism site.

Draft saved Draft deleted